Author Topic: Help! What kind of cheese is THIS?  (Read 5326 times)

meyerandray

Re: Help! What kind of cheese is THIS?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »
Those tomatoes are beautiful!  I can't wait for tomato season...and you just got me dreaming again.  You seem to be quite the successful gardener, I am jealous.
That is a lot of garlic!  I should send you a bagna cauda (pronounced ban-yah cow-dah) recipe.  It is a traditional Piemontese dish in the winter.  It is essentially a dip served hot in little personal fondue-style pots with raw veggies, and cooked potatoes and onions.  Do you eat anchovies?  The ingredients are anchovies, garlic, cream, hazlenuts and olive oil, so if you don't eat anchovies, you can skip this recipe.

The pizzoccheri, yes, they are just made with buckwheat flour and water.  Most dry pasta that you eat is made with semolina flour and water, not salt-that is why we add salt to the water.  In the US I know that Barilla and DeCecco have to add vitamins to their pasta intended for US export, but otherwise just flour and water.  Egg pasta on the other hand is either only egg yolk and flour (for a really rich pasta, like during truffle season...delicious!! otherwise, we make it with whole eggs, and even add some water sometimes, depends on how many eggs we have. 

Last year we used a mix of straw, cow manure that is aged for a year.  I think we have soil problems in the veggie garden though.  I am going to buy a phmeter for my cheese, and might have a look at my soil while I'm at it (probably shouldn't say that in public people will think that is horribly unsanitary!!)  We have fruit trees, and get GREAT results with our fruit, but unfortunately in the veggie garden we don't really get the same satisfaction.  Tons of zucchini, lettuces and spinach/chard etc, but the rest does ok, nothing to get too excited about.  Maybe we need to add some new soil when we fertilize and turn the land (sorry that is an awkward way to say it, I can't think of the right expression, till the land??)

Ok, well I attached some photos, let me know if you are interested in that bagna cauda recipe.  I will check out your blog. 

Keyser Soze

Re: Help! What kind of cheese is THIS?
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 07:01:37 PM »
How about baked into a biscuit.  Cheese biscuits are all the rage at some of the restaurants I've been to lately.

I was also thinking as Käsespätzel. German egg drop noodles with melted cheese in layers and baked in the oven.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.