Author Topic: Aging without a cave or spare fridge...  (Read 7227 times)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Aging without a cave or spare fridge...
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
How is this working? It looks interesting. :o
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

and7barton

Re: Aging without a cave or spare fridge...
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »
How is this working? It looks interesting. :o

There's a vertical wooden duct at the rear of the cabinet (On the exterior). The top and bottom of the duct open into the cabinet. The duct is otherwise sealed. A 12 volt Peltier Plate is fitted into the rear side of the top of the duct. You can see the cooling fins in the interior shot. I ripped the Peltier Plate out of a water cooler unit.
The plate is switched on and off by a thermostat. Obviously, the COLD side of the plate is on the inside and the HOT side vented to the air behind the cabinet. The Peltier Plate already had a fan attached which removes the heat from the HOT side and blows it away. The fan only runs whilst the Peltier Plate is running.
The couple of solid shelves have a small cutout at their rears to allow circulation of air, and a half inch gap at the front between the shelf edge and the glass of the door. As the Peltier Plate cools the air, the air sinks down the duct and re-enters the cabinet at the bottom.
Warm air (well, not so much "Warm", as less cold than the air entering at the bottom) rises to the top and is drawn into the duct's inlet at the top and re-cooled and a slow circulation of air is set up.
I built it two months ago and did some running tests on it with thermometers and it seems to work, but since building it, the weather has been so darned cold that it hasn't switched itself on because of this. It's kept in my chilly garage.
It will be interesting to see how it performs when the weather gets warm.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:39:13 PM by and7barton »