Author Topic: this weeks project  (Read 3045 times)

reg

this weeks project
« on: June 16, 2008, 12:18:35 PM »
will be getting right back at it this week and i think we will look at making a stirred curd cheddar in a four gallon batch. the plans are to try to build an inventory of differnt cheeses at different ages. i know that could be wishfull thinking but we have to start somewere

this week cheddar, next a jack cheese, then a manchego. after that go back to the Alpine styles, goudas and some washed rind cheeses and try to maintain that rotation. after that who knows but it sounds like a good strategy

Cheese Head

Re: this weeks project
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:45:19 PM »
Sounds good but you will need to keep records as otherwise when cycle back may forget the last times learnings. Of course you'll want to take consumption into account!

In financial world of bond investing this is called a ladder, which I wish I had ;D.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:52:03 PM »
Sounds like a good plan to me.  I've been attempting to do something similar, albeit somewhat less organized.

reg

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:23:18 PM »
yesterdays cheddar cheese making turned out pretty good although it is a bit more work than making the other cheeses. ended up with a wheel that is aprox 4 x 8 inches but it is still under the 50lb press as we speak. the entire day went pretty smooth so we will see how this cheese stacks up to the others

reg

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 09:04:48 PM »
Glad it came out well.  Good work.

Do you know how you are going to finish and age the cheese?

reg

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:26:47 AM »
morning DD. at this point i have no idea how i will finish this particular wheel. i know that most cheddars don't have rinds (at least what i have seen) so i may go with either waxing or vac pac. it is sitting out on the counter and will sit there until it dries some. the recipe calls for drying at room temps for 2-5 days.

reg