Author Topic: more cheese please  (Read 4593 times)

reg

more cheese please
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:03:26 PM »
this coming week i will be making more cheese just not sure which type i'm going to tackle yet. i have some many things in my mind i'm getting confused lol. i like the idea of CH's cumin gouda and like the idea of the caraway gouda. also like the idea of a smoked gouda that would be smoked before aging but that would need a separate aging cave.

the thought has crossed my mind about making a dried and coarse ground mushroom Alpine cheese. also like the idea of doing a washed rind cheese and using some local wine to make it an authentic local type cheese. they make a lot of wine in our region

i think i need more space, more money and more time :-)

Cheese Head

Re: more cheese please
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »
Ha you are keen and plenty of great ideas, I like the wine washed rine cheese idea, never tried, assume sherry or port would be even better!

Have to run to watch Indiana Jones #2 with teenage kids as #4 is in cinema! My wife would love mushroom, I often see all sorts of different dried mushrooms in chinese type stores, there is another person merlin who loves a mushroom et al flavoured cheese posted here.

My problem is like making wine, I don't let it age enough!

reg

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:59:46 AM »
John i have some late harvest Vidal here made by a small winery in Niagara on the Lake. was thinking about using that product but it is a white wine and i'm thinking a red might be a better choice. like the idea of the sweet red port to offset the acid of the cheese. now thats something to think about

reg

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:49:13 PM »
All my washed rind type cheese have been gouda and washed in saturated brine. Now you have me keen on soaking-washing in wine, port, sherry or even cider. Yes your white Vidal wine may be nice but agree that it won't give you any colouring. I know there are cheeses that are soaked in port.

I have a wine washed cheese making recipe called Cabra al Vino. It uses a standard goat cheese recipe as base and then red wine to give the rind a deep violet color and a perfect taste combination. It says after pressing to:
  • Soak the cheese in red wine for 24 hours.
  • Remove and let air dry for 6 hours or until dry to touch.
  • Repeat the wine bath.
Doesn't mention if you drink the wine afterwards, ;) why not?

When I soak gouda in saturated brine it floats due to the high density of the brine, and thus I flip it every ~15 min to get even rind development. As wine is lower density your cheese may sink and thus you wouldn't have to do that step.

Post/send a couple snaps if you do this, I have no time for cheese making this weekend but my blue is building mold dramatically snaps posted here.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 06:02:11 PM by Cheese Head »

reg

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:08:24 PM »
i would assume that with making that cheese the salt is added before pressing then soaking in the wine ?

reg

Cheese Head

more cheese please
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:51:54 PM »
Just re-checked the recipe, no salt added anywhere. With gouda, the salt causes hte rind, with this recipe, presumably the wine does.

Cheese Head

more cheese please
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »
Oops, me bad, just noticed that this recipe does add salt before pressing but no amount given, sorry. I posted the recipe here, please let me know how much salt you use and I'll update the recipe.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 06:03:03 PM by Cheese Head »