Author Topic: Shelf life of home pasteurized goat milk?  (Read 4132 times)

Offline kdttocs

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
Shelf life of home pasteurized goat milk?
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »
I pasteurized raw goat milk I received from a friend's goat 3 days after it was milked - 145 degrees for 30 minutes.

First is it not good to have waited 3 days (I realize the sooner always the better)? And how long can I expect it to stay good in the refrigerator after pasteurization?

Scott
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:56:24 PM by kdttocs »

Sunshinegoat

Re: Shelf life of home pasteurized goat milk?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »
Hi there,
 We have goats that we milk daily. I do not pasteurize and I do not drink milk that is more than 4 days old but I recently heard someone say they pasteurize their goats' milk and it last two weeks...I am suspect of this but that could very well be true..I just use mine as fresh as possible so will probably never find out :)

WovenMeadows

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »
Most commercial pasteurized fluid milk is probably not pasteurized before 3 days (it can spend 48 hours at the farm, and then is trucked to a plant, where is may even be passed onto a second plant first). Then however long before making it to stores, being put out on the shelf, brought home, and then opened and drunk. So two weeks doesn't sound high either. Not to say that a fresher milk won't taste better or be more nutritious though!

Sunshinegoat

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »
Most commercial pasteurized fluid milk is probably not pasteurized before 3 days (it can spend 48 hours at the farm, and then is trucked to a plant, where is may even be passed onto a second plant first). Then however long before making it to stores, being put out on the shelf, brought home, and then opened and drunk. So two weeks doesn't sound high either. Not to say that a fresher milk won't taste better or be more nutritious though!

That makes total sense now that you put it that way...My first experience with goat's milk was from a store..I didn't like it (probably because it had been not so fresh) but I wanted a goat so I bought one anyway and have been drinking nothing but goat milk ever since ;)