Author Topic: smelly goat milk  (Read 2953 times)

Clean break

smelly goat milk
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »
Now that I have your attention ;D

The goat milk i have been purchasing from the farm has been really good.  No funny flavors or after tastes, ice cold straight from the farm it is Delicious.  However this week I was pasteurizing some on the stove top to make a fresh cheese out of (I am not 100% sure of the cleanliness of the operation so I am being safe).  Anyway during the heating process it started to smell sort of barnyardy for lack of a better term.  I don't remember any off smells any other times but this caught my attention.  I made some chèvre and it seems fine but I want to know if this is normal or did I heat it too fast or something or is it a certain phase the goats are going through? contamination?  I did have a glass of it before I heated it and it was fantastic.  Any ideas?
Thanks
Scott

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: smelly goat milk
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »
HI Scott,  sorry for delay in response.  I'm not sure why the off flavor after pasteurizing.  I don't pasteurize mine so can't say.  I don't have any off flavors.  Some flavor differences come from breed of goat, cleanliness, season, handling, etc.  I wish I could help you but I'm not sure.  I've heard that low mineral diets can impact goat milk flavor too.  maybe someone else will weigh in. 

Clean break

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply Tiarella,
I was told this weekend that any off flavors will be much more evident when you heat the milk, so who knows what the difference was with this batch. 
Scott

Sunshinegoat

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »
Hi there,
 I'm brand new here and your post caught my attention. I have a mixed herd of dairy goats. I have mostly alpines but I do have one Toggenburg who is relatively new to us. I have heard that this breed is not so popular with milk drinkers bc the milk tends to have that "goaty" flavor but it is a great milk for cheese.
 Breed, time of year, place in lactation cycle, and diet tend to play a role in milk quality. We pool our milk from all the goats so I can't help to pin point the breed issue but this is what I have heard.
 The seasons are changing and if there is more available for the goats to browse on the milk certainly changes. This could be a factor.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
Hi there,
 I'm brand new here and your post caught my attention. I have a mixed herd of dairy goats. I have mostly alpines but I do have one Toggenburg who is relatively new to us. I have heard that this breed is not so popular with milk drinkers bc the milk tends to have that "goaty" flavor but it is a great milk for cheese.
 Breed, time of year, place in lactation cycle, and diet tend to play a role in milk quality. We pool our milk from all the goats so I can't help to pin point the breed issue but this is what I have heard.
 The seasons are changing and if there is more available for the goats to browse on the milk certainly changes. This could be a factor.

Welcome Sunshine!  (wish we were getting more sunshine around here!)  From what folks tell me the best breeds for cheese are Nigerian Dwarf, Nubian and LaMancha because of the high level of solids and therefor better yield of cheese from same amount of milk.  Pav says that 20% or whatever increased yield can make or break a cheesemaking operation.

Good to see another goat owner here.....   ;D

Sunshinegoat

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »
Thanks for the welcoming :) I had a lamancha at one point and her milk was fantastic for drinking and cheese making. I've never had cheese from a Nubian but I know there butterfat is supposed to be the highest... I toy with the idea of getting one now and then but I am not crazy about their temperaments (and thier noise ;))
 I could definately see getting them though if you produces 20% more product for the same amount of care and labor if you are in it for profit..for sure!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:56:08 PM »
Thanks for the welcoming :) I had a lamancha at one point and her milk was fantastic for drinking and cheese making. I've never had cheese from a Nubian but I know there butterfat is supposed to be the highest... I toy with the idea of getting one now and then but I am not crazy about their temperaments (and thier noise ;))
 I could definately see getting them though if you produces 20% more product for the same amount of care and labor if you are in it for profit..for sure!

Yeah, what's with the breeds that are best for cheese making?????   :o  You get the choice of Nubian noses, LaMancha alien ears or the smaller sized Nigerian Dwarf  (cute but you need quite a few to get enough milk)!  Isn't it supposed to be easier than this?   ;D

Sunshinegoat

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »

Yeah, what's with the breeds that are best for cheese making?????   :o  You get the choice of Nubian noses, LaMancha alien ears or the smaller sized Nigerian Dwarf  (cute but you need quite a few to get enough milk)!  Isn't it supposed to be easier than this?   ;D

Haha! I've tried almost all breeds and I have settled on my middle-of-the-road Alpines...I LOVE them! The milk tastes great and I get cheese! Their temperaments are wonderful and they make THE cutest babies ;D

Clean break

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »
Thanks Sunshine
Who knows!  There was definately something that changed so maybe it will change again. I am trying to find other sources of goat milk nearby so I can compare. The cheese tastes great so I am not too worried.

Sunshinegoat

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:48:45 PM »
Good! I feel like if it tastes good and it come out how you like it you've won the battle ;)