Author Topic: PLA Activation  (Read 1637 times)

Tomer1

PLA Activation
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »
It says to incubate for 16 hours in a 3% brine solution with calcium chloride and glucose.
How much glucose (I've got dextrose in hand) and CaCl do I need to add?

BobE102330

Re: PLA Activation
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
 When I bought PLA, Yoav sent me this. It doesn't include a requirement for either glucose or CaCL2, and has worked well for me so far.

·         For rind treatment, make a morge (rind treatment brine) first:  Use clean (filtered, non-chlorinated) water in a sanitized container or spray bottle. Mix in 3%-6% salt by weight.  (2-4 fl-oz is a good amount to make if you have 2-4 wheels of cheese that need 2-3 weeks of washing). After the salt had dissolved (and when the brine is in room temperature), drop in a pinch (1/16th tsp) of PLA into the brine. Wait 5 minutes for it to reconstitute, then mix or shake the bottle/jar.  Leave in room temperature for 12 hours to propagate. It is now ready to use and will need to be refrigerated from this point on.  Note that the salt always must dissolve before you add the culture because direct contact of the culture with salt crystals or high % salt water that surrounds them as they dissolve will kill or weaken the culture.