Author Topic: Penicilum Candidum - Geotrichum Candidum amounts?  (Read 5011 times)

mbox

Penicilum Candidum - Geotrichum Candidum amounts?
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:55:10 AM »
I do make quite a lot of white mold cheese and have good results too ...but i do not necessarily follow exactly the recipe ( 200 recipes) for camembert or Brie...because i add also Geotrichum candidum ( which is not mentioned by most books i read)
I want to find correct amount to be used for a 8 gallon batch.
For a 2 Gallon batch In the book it says 1/8 tsp Penicilum Candidum plus i add a pinch of Geotrichum Candidum.
So for 8 gallon i use 1/2 tsp Penicilum Candidum and 1/16 tsp Geotrichum Candidum ...is this the right amounts or am i supposed to use less of the mold?

The reason i am asking is i am importing my mold and would either seek a more economical way to make use of the mold( without affecting quality) or just import a few packs in order to  reduce the shipping costs ( i am currently ordering from cheesemaking.com but if there is some other suggestions for supplier that ships reasonably international i would be keen to know)  .

I would also look into the possibility to spray the mold , but do i dilute geotrichum and penicilum Candidum both in the same bottle and spray and what are the downsides to it? How is it diluted? 1 tsp to how much ml/ltr water? And how well is this diluted mix keeping...? 

Thanks for your valued feedbacks,

mbox

BobE102330

Re: Penicilum Candidum - Geotrichum Candidum amounts?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 02:08:06 PM »
I use 1/8 tsp PC about half a 1/32 tsp geo in two gallons, so I'd scale that to 1/2 and 1/16 tsp for 8 gallons. That's based on what Cheesemaking.com had on the Geo label. Sounds like you're on the right track.

I'd keep the same proportion for a spray mixture.

Have you tried Yoav aka iratherfly? He ships worldwide, has good selection and pricing and is a nice guy to boot. Send him a pm through the forum.

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
I use about 1/16th tsp of PC and half of a 32nd tsp for geo for a 2 gallon make...

As far as the geo goes, you can almost apply enough just by thinking about adding some  LOL

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 04:13:51 PM »
I used a pinch of Geo in my first Bries and they never softened.  I did the next batch without it and they came out great.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
Geo occurs naturally depending on your location and environment, so you may not need it at all.

mbox

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 12:11:56 AM »
Thanks all, i am not sure whether i have naturally occuring geo or not..being in thailand using thai milk i think that pack geo with the tiny amounts used will last me a very long time.
bbracken667, you use about half the amount of PC as me ...do you make white mold cheese often with this amount of PC? Any issues ever had (in regards of white mold growth)? i may just try that too 

mbox

bbracken677

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:07:13 AM »
I make camemberts every now and then and have never had issues with the PC growing and getting good coverage. I think the key is maintaining proper humidity and temp, more than the actual quantity of PC.

mbox

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 04:20:47 AM »
I make camemberts every now and then and have never had issues with the PC growing and getting good coverage. I think the key is maintaining proper humidity and temp, more than the actual quantity of PC.

Ok thanks a lot , i will try that ....i too never had issues of the pc growing really...except that one time it was getting visitors from the neighboring blue cheese  :o

mbox

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »
I use 1/8 tsp PC about half a 1/32 tsp geo in two gallons, so I'd scale that to 1/2 and 1/16 tsp for 8 gallons. That's based on what Cheesemaking.com had on the Geo label. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Have you tried Yoav aka iratherfly? He ships worldwide, has good selection and pricing and is a nice guy to boot. Send him a pm through the forum.

Thanks for the info ....i have sent a PM to iratherfly a couple of days ago....he might not have seen my PM yet....perhaps i should send him an email? or does he have a website ... if you could PM me how i can reach him i would be grateful ...thanks a lot, mbox

mbox

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 06:40:48 PM »

Thanks for the info ....i have sent a PM to iratherfly a couple of days ago....he might not have seen my PM yet....perhaps i should send him an email? or does he have a website ... if you could PM me how i can reach him i would be grateful ...thanks a lot, mbox

Thank you for the PM - i already emailed iratherfly .