Author Topic: My First Blue  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: My First Blue
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 12:03:55 PM »
Wow, that's quite a color blue!! :o   Sure you didn't handle it with blueberry flavored koi aid powder on your hands?   ;)
Agreed, pretty blue.

Um, what is koi aid powder? I raised Koi once upon a time. Is this like Lik-m-Aid or something? Way out there, I think. ;)

-Boofer-

Ummm, I just fixed my post. :-[. It was meant to read "kool aid" powder, not "koi aid" powder.  This is an illustration of the downside of auto-correct.   :o.  I read morning forum posts on an iPad sitting on the kitchen daybed, cup of tea next to me, faithful cat (when he's not busy mousing or getting squirrely) purring next to me and I do not proof read my posts enough.   :D. I think koi aid powder must be for scale rot or something.....not a good cheese wash.  I remember that kool aid powder stained everything when I was a kid.  We'd have purple tongues and lips from the grape flavor.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
Okay, in the groove now. :)

Yeah, the purple tongue was really special. :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mjr522

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
I've been negligent in posting pictures for the past month.  Here's my core sample from this blue--taking lessons from H-K-J.  I bagged it up and it's in the fridge for the next few months.  I'll be out of town for all of June and most of July, so I probably won't open them until the end of July.

[img width= height= alt=blue core sample with vegetable peeler]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/551300_326762517449195_1198934577_n.jpg[/img]

Here's one with the actual cheese in the background.  There's a little more stuff growing on the surface than I'd like, but I think it will be fine.

[img width= height= alt=core sample with cheese in background]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/18011_326762530782527_647256963_n.jpg[/img]

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 01:17:53 AM »
Awesome veining :D
Have uh cheese for a excellent looking Blue ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 10:46:59 AM »
Mike, It's nice to see you on the forum again!  Hope all has been well with you and your family.  I like your perforated steel solution for your vat draining and I like how nice this blue looks.  Was the outside of the cheese supposed to be totally mold free?  I don't know blues at all yet but it Looks great to me and not at all like the skanky rinds that some blues sport.  Congratulations!!!   :D

mjr522

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »
Thanks, H-J-K.  I'll be sure to post pictures when I open them.

Tiarella--yeah, it's supposed to be "rindless", but I'm not too concerned about it.  As you said, it's not skanky. :) I'm pretty excited about the perforated stainless.  It was so easy to drain the curds, plus it left them all in a nice row on the side of the vat.  I'm looking forward to trying a cheddared cheese in there--it should be a lot easier than in my turkey roaster.  Unfortunately, my weekends have been (and are scheduled to be...) occupied preventing me from making more cheese.