Author Topic: Baby Swiss #2 Opened  (Read 1520 times)

Duntov

Baby Swiss #2 Opened
« on: June 25, 2016, 10:53:43 PM »
I used store bought milk on Baby Swiss #1 and it came out great.  I used fresh raw milk and cloth bound this one and all I can say is wow!  The 2 gallon recipe I used is here:  http://www.cheesemaking.com/SwissBaby.html

Baby Swiss #3 is aging but I am anxious to do a 4 gallon batch with good raw milk.  My family can't get enough of this cheese.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Baby Swiss #2 Opened
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:58:35 PM »
Looks great - AC4U!
-- Andy

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 01:21:52 AM »
Hey John.. Looks great, congrats... Enjoy! A cheese for you as I'm contemplating my first Swiss soon too with raw milk... Looks like you trimmed the rind off to serve... Was not good? ... How long did you age it for? Would you have done anything different from the original recipe?

Duntov

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »
Hi Fritz.  This isn't a traditional swiss.  "Baby" doesn't refer to the size but rather the variation of the cheese.  The link I posted for the recipe talks a bit about it.  My Baby Swiss #1 was a natural rind that I brine washed every other day.  It had a semi firm texture with a nice nutty tasting rind.  On this second attempt I was going to do the same natural rind but ran into cave problems with severe cross contamination from my blues and humidity problems that left all my cheeses wet.  After 4 weeks of doing a natural rind, I cleaned and then did the cloth wrap which is my first attempt at doing so.  This is a young cheese that aged for only 8 weeks.  I put half of it back to age some more so we will see how it is in another month.

The end result was quite different from Baby #1.  The rind that was firm became just as moist as the center probably due to 'moisture equalization' after applying the cloth wrap.  The overall texture is smooth and creamy and sweet.  The firmness is between a Gouda and a Havarti.  Totally different from what I expected but a pleasant outcome!  After pealing away the cloth there was still some lard remaining on the rind that didn't look appealing to the eye.  I did scrap it off.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 12:08:58 AM »
Awesome thanks ... Nice short cheese ... Gotta like that.
Made a short Assiago (Pressato) recently ... 2 months aged ... Off the hook good ! .