Author Topic: Hello from Oneonta, NY  (Read 1984 times)

Keyser Soze

Hello from Oneonta, NY
« on: March 10, 2013, 02:44:12 AM »
Hi all !!  I'm really new at cheese.  I have been making beer and bread for about the last 5 years, started sausages a couple months ago, and now on to cheese.  I have decided to dabble in all things edible because of my extreme love of good food, and the trips I have taken to visit relatives in Germany ( Friedrichshafen and Allgäu area).  I can not get a good sausage, beer or chunk of cheese or bread from anywhere near me. Once I got pulled out of line at the airport coming back from Minneapolis because the sausages I was bringing back looked like weapons of mass consumption. I was so embarassed.
  I have been reading the posts of Jeff Hamm and his butterkase makes and I can't wait to get started on this.  I am also looking for a recipe for Smoked Gouda with Schinken ( ham) in it.  My wife's reason to live ( aside from me she says, but if it was me or the cheese ....?)

Thanks for the great info, and I'm looking forward to a lot of cheesey good fun.

Eric

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Hello from Oneonta, NY
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »
Welcome, Eric!  You'll fit right in with that sense of humor!!   ;D. I'm in Western Mass and some folks in Mass and NY have been loosely taking about sometime getting together to eat cheeses that we make.  Not sure when or if it will happen but it seems likely it might happen at my place about an hour east of the NY/MA border.  Would you be interested?  It would be summer sometime. 

OpheliaBlue

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:26:48 PM »
Wilkomen, Eric! Hope you make an outstanding butterkase. I'm still newish at making cheese too. And lol at your airport sausage story :P

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »
Welcome to the board Eric!  Look forward to seeing your makes.  Butterkase is a good one to start with, and caerphilly is another, as both are ready fairly quickly so you get feedback on your procedures pretty quick. 

- Jeff

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:34:40 AM »
Eric , I'm new here too , but welcome from me as well!

That's a different username "Keyser Soze"

I've only known one other person on another board that used that name , it was on netwarrio..................................s.

Just wondering if it was the same person.

Anyway , welcome.

Keyser Soze

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
Thanks All !  For the Herzlich Wilkommen! 

In order of appearance, Tiarella, thanks for the invite.  I am always interested, but rarely can I get that far. 6 1/2 day a week work schedule.  If I get fired from a job........?.  Better wait till I'm a little more aged in the cheese department, unless it's the beer and bread you're lacking !     ;-)
  OB They make great sausage in Minneapolis / St. Paul.  Ukrainian deli near the bridge on the St. Paul side a couple blocks from the university. Airport security guy was laughing so hard I could have just melted.  He yelled over to the other one with the wand and held up the sausages and it was all over.  At least they let me take them on the plane!
  Jeffhamm.  Thanks for all the great posts!  I've been lurking in the background for a while reading them and I think I learned more from your posts than anywhere else.  Nice fish too!
  jwalker- Not me.  I'm on several sites with this handle.  Comes from the movie" The Usual Suspects"  It is an intentional misspelling of Kaiser so as not to seem too full of myself.  My darling wife called me a "Master Brewer" while in Germany, and I had a hard time the rest of the trip whenever my realtives repeated that to someone else ( to get a laugh, which it did) Reminded me of Minneapolis airport.

Life is too short not to have some fun.  I'm really bad at threads, I will try to keep up.  Now, off to get some milk.  :D

Thanks again,
Eric

Cruci

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
Hi!

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 10:47:19 AM »
Hi, I am not too far from you, I am in Sullivan county.