Author Topic: My first Edam  (Read 10860 times)

shotski

Re: My first Edam
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »
First coat of cream wax tonight. A first for me as well as the cheese.

JimSteel

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 02:22:23 PM »
Hi shotski, nice to see another Ontarian around here.  I was laughing pretty hard when I saw the reactions to the bagged milk.  Your cheese press and operations remind me a lot of mine.

Cheese looks pretty good.  Where did you get that cheese mold?  I'm looking to upgrade to a larger size when i move into my new house.

Also, why did you choose 2% instead of homo milk(3.25%)?

shotski

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »
Hi shotski, nice to see another Ontarian around here.  I was laughing pretty hard when I saw the reactions to the bagged milk.  Your cheese press and operations remind me a lot of mine.

Cheese looks pretty good.  Where did you get that cheese mold?  I'm looking to upgrade to a larger size when i move into my new house.

Also, why did you choose 2% instead of homo milk(3.25%)?

Hi Jim what part of Ontario are you near? The recipe I have said that Edam is traditionally made with skim milk ( I have seen posts here where a higher fat milk is used.

As far as my set up is concerned I am relatively new to cheese making, I have only made 5 so far and wasn't sure if I would spend a lot of time making cheese. That said I am really enjoying this hobby.

I have been getting my moulds and supplies from ( They are very helpful)

http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/moulds.htm

I got the Manufactures number 3888 and 3889 it is 6" high and 8" round. it is very versatile as you can make soft, semihard or hard cheeses in it.
I went down the path of trying to be frugal on that one but decided in the end that for the most part for the price of a couple of items that will be reused it is well worth the investment.

In this recipe for Edam I used 16L of milk and that ended up using 2" of the 6" height of the mold so even if I double it to 32L it will fit.

JimSteel

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 01:48:15 AM »
I'm living in Bowmanville, east of Oshawa.  I've made 5 molded cheeses as well so far(though only 1 pound wheels).  When I'm settled in the new house I'm going to get back in gear.  I'd checked the glengarry site out a few times but wasn't quite sure what mold to go for or what the quality would be like.  The price seems fair, so I'll likely be picking one up now.

Are you getting everything from there?  Cultures, rennet etc?  I've been ordering from cheesemaking.com, but international shipping can be a pain.  Having a Canadian source would be good.

shotski

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 02:16:41 AM »
I'm living in Bowmanville, east of Oshawa.  I've made 5 molded cheeses as well so far(though only 1 pound wheels).  When I'm settled in the new house I'm going to get back in gear.  I'd checked the glengarry site out a few times but wasn't quite sure what mold to go for or what the quality would be like.  The price seems fair, so I'll likely be picking one up now.

Are you getting everything from there?  Cultures, rennet etc?  I've been ordering from cheesemaking.com, but international shipping can be a pain.  Having a Canadian source would be good.

So far I have purchased all my supplies from glengarry. They have been more than helpful. The quality of the mould is very good, very sturdy and I am thinking it will out last me.

shotski

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 12:39:43 AM »
It has been a week and a half now so I decided to hard wax my Edam over the cream wax.

High Altitude

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 02:27:08 AM »
Nicely done....will do the same to my lumpy edam boules in a week!  Show us when you cut this baby open  :D....

Shazah

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 08:02:43 AM »
Nice job with this cheese.

Your wife may forgive you for destroying the Tupperware but using that lovely pan for your waxing??  I'm not so sure she'll be too happy about that   :-X

shotski

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »
Nice job with this cheese.

Your wife may forgive you for destroying the Tupperware but using that lovely pan for your waxing??  I'm not so sure she'll be too happy about that   :-X

The pan was only $5.00 at a second hand store. Well worth the investment I think.

This was my first time hard waxing. The wax did leave a couple of run streaks that I would think are only cosmetic but it did seem to go on pretty thick. My book said if it leaves streaks or drip marls then the wax is not hot enough. Maybe try it a little hotter next time. 

shotski

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 01:02:33 PM »
Well I could not wait any longer. My Edam is only 2 months old but had to try it. It had a very nice mild flavour and the texture was good but slightly on the dry side I am guessing that is because I used 2% so less cream. My next one is a spiced Gouda.

I have a question regarding Edam and Gouda. I noticed that the recipes I have for both use the same ingredient and quantities. Is there quick answer to the differences between the 2 cheeses?

BobE102330

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2013, 01:59:55 PM »
Recipes may be similar, but Gouda should be a whole milk cheese and Edam a part skim. 

Googling Edam vs Gouda turned up http://www.diffen.com/difference/Edam_Cheese_vs_Gouda_Cheese

shotski

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
Thanks Bob, that is a very useful web site.