Author Topic: My first Edam  (Read 10858 times)

CWREBEL

Re: My first Edam
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:31 PM »
I suppose you could use the thermometer/bowl to check for flocculation too? A true multi-tasker!

shotski

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 02:30:55 AM »
I look forward to following this thread and seeing how your first Edam turns out!  I'm making my first one tomorrow (when my fresh milk delivery arrives).  Having done a little research beforehand, I invested in some cream wax that contains mold inhibitors with which I will coat the Edam prior to hard waxing (in accordance with recipe directions).  Are you taking this approach or going with a natural rind maybe?

I would think that 1\2 % would not make much of a difference. I plan on doing the cream wax and hard waxing 3 to 4 weeks after if memory serves me.

shotski

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 02:40:19 AM »
Thanks for the floating thermometer comments. "necessity is the mother of invention". When I dumped the 16L of milk in my new 32L pot the bracket for the thermometer was well above the milk. So a little quick thinking and presto that is what I cam up with on the spot. Having said that , my wife doesn't know I impailed her Tupperware.

shotski

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:39 AM »
Does anyone know the rule of thumb brine the Edam? I have 2 recipes for the same volume (16L) and one says 12 hours in total and the other says 12 hours per kg. Both in a heavy brine.

My wheel is 3.75 lbs and I had in brine for 12 hours I didn't want it to get to salty.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:00:25 AM by shotski »

mjr522

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 03:54:45 AM »
12 hours per kilo seems like a long time.  I suppose because of the reduced surface area to volume ratio of a sphere, it might need longer to get the right amount of salt in, but it still seems like a long time.  I think for other cheeses I've done 3-4 hours per pound is what's recommended, though I haven't made Edam before.

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 04:55:55 AM »
The rule of thumb I have is 1 hour per pound per inch, using a saturated brine (26.5%).  If you use a lower saturation, you scale accordingly (i.e. if you use an 18% solution then multiply by 18/26.5  26.5/18).  This is for wheels, so I'm not sure if it translates perfectly for a cannonball.

- Jeff

P.S. Edited as I had the fraction wrong way round.  Oops!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:31:39 PM by JeffHamm »

shotski

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
Thanks for the info Mike and Jeff. I used a 18% brine so it should be ok. I think it is in the ball park

shotski

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 07:49:53 PM »
So is that 2 hours if the wheel is 1 LB and 1" thick?

The rule of thumb I have is 1 hour per pound per inch, using a saturated brine (26.5%).  If you use a lower saturation, you scale accordingly (i.e. if you use an 18% solution then multiply by 18/26.5).  This is for wheels, so I'm not sure if it translates perfectly for a cannonball.

- Jeff
[/quot

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:02:53 PM by shotski »

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 08:10:10 PM »
Yes.  Weigh the cheese in lbs, measure it's height in inches, and multiply the two together  Brine for that many hours in a saturated brine solution.  For less than saturated (around 26.5% salt), you scale by 26.5/X where X is your percentage of salt.

To calculate your salt percentage, it's weight of salt/weight of solution.  So, if you add 18g of salt to 100g of water, then you have 18/118 = 15.25% solution, and  1 part salt to 5 parts water (in weight) means 1/6, or 16.67% solution. 

As an aside, I find the easiest way to make a 3% solution for washing, is to just weigh out 97g of water then add enough salt to increase the weight to 100g.  That will last for awhile if you just washing a cheese or two.

- Jeff

shotski

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 08:46:45 PM »
thanks for the detailed information Jeff.

tnbquilt

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 10:43:18 PM »
I made a leiden, which is Edam with cumin seeds. I like the cheese, I don't like the cumin seeds. I will make Edam next time.

shotski

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 10:57:36 PM »
I made a leiden, which is Edam with cumin seeds. I like the cheese, I don't like the cumin seeds. I will make Edam next time.

My next Edam will be with carway seed.

High Altitude

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 12:29:12 AM »
Does anyone know the rule of thumb brine the Edam? I have 2 recipes for the same volume (16L) and one says 12 hours in total and the other says 12 hours per kg. Both in a heavy brine.

My wheel is 3.75 lbs and I had in brine for 12 hours I didn't want it to get to salty.

My recipe says to brine a 2 lb wheel in a 15% brine for 8 hours (or overnight).

High Altitude

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 12:33:26 AM »
I look forward to following this thread and seeing how your first Edam turns out!  I'm making my first one tomorrow (when my fresh milk delivery arrives).  Having done a little research beforehand, I invested in some cream wax that contains mold inhibitors with which I will coat the Edam prior to hard waxing (in accordance with recipe directions).  Are you taking this approach or going with a natural rind maybe?

I would think that 1\2 % would not make much of a difference. I plan on doing the cream wax and hard waxing 3 to 4 weeks after if memory serves me.

Thanks.  I'm giving it a try tomorrow....making 2 boules vice pressing a single wheel.  The recipe doesn't say to wait 3-4 weeks to wax, and I probably won't only because I don't want the boules to loose too much moisture after they have already air dried some days.  It's apparently not a requirement to wait, but if you wanted your Edam to age further with the ability to "breath", that's the way to go I suppose.  Would be interested to hear from others if they wait that long to hard wax after the cream wax...hmmm.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »
I made a leiden, which is Edam with cumin seeds.
Umm, no. ???

Leiden is closer to Gouda with cumin seeds. Wait a minute...let me get a judge's ruling...Herman? :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.