Author Topic: First Time Limburger  (Read 3365 times)

KTownCheese

First Time Limburger
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
So I decided to try my hand at some ripened cheese using some B. Linens.  After much thought I decided on trying a Limburger.

The recipe came from the Wiki portion of this website and the milk I used was regular store bought 2% with calcium chloride added in.  I used about 1/8 tsp of annatto to give a nice cream/yellow colour.

The pic below is a shot just after salting and spraying with B.linens and water.  I plan to re-salt each day until day 5 then go heavy with the B.Linens.
Any thoughts from the members here?
Any tips on what I have done so far?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:22:57 PM by KTownCheese »

KTownCheese

Re: First Time Limburger
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 07:07:57 PM »
Just another upate, The cheese is a few days in and I have rubbed with salt a few times.  Things seem to be progressing but I have not seen any B. linens development.  How long does it usually take before B.linens shows up?

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
I've not made limberger before, but on other cheeses they will take a week or more to become visible.  Don't worry, if you wash it they will come! :)

- Jeff

KTownCheese

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:55:02 PM »
Going on the third week for my limburger now.  Definitely getting a slime occurring however no distinct orange dicoloration.  I expect this is because I used a touch of annatto during the making and cant see the colour change.  Ahh well. I will keep wiping and continue on.

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »
It can help to let it sit out for 30 minutes or so a day.  The b.linens benefit from getting some air.   Still, the annato could be masking them and if you're getting smear, you're there.  Keep on what you're doing.

- Jeff

KTownCheese

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
Thanks for the info.  By now the smear is going really well and Im seeing distinct red coming through.  I put a port salut in with the limburger about a week after i started the limburger and it is now really orange/red.
Also I shaved off a piece of the limburger last night.  Holt crap it has a very strong B. Linens taste.  Possible I used too much B.Linens?
Anywho I like it so Ill let it sit for anothe rmonth and then see what happens.

KTownCheese

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »
Just an update on my cave and B.linens growth! everything is looking good!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »
Yeah, linens is definitely in the house. :)

How does it smell?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

KTownCheese

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »
absolutely amazing,  However if i leave the cave open for longer than a few minutes the smell penetrtates the whole first floor.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »
Making friends....  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

KTownCheese

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 02:29:57 AM »
Im looking to sore my limburger for an extended period following ripening.  has anyone had any experience vacuum sealing these cheeses?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 03:00:31 AM »
I have vacuum-sealed a number of cheese styles that had a linens-ripened rind. Most of them I washed the linens off first, dried them, and then sealed them. They all fared pretty well, in fact, I recently sampled one of these.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!