Author Topic: My 9th Caerphilly  (Read 5415 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 9th Caerphilly
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 05:15:12 AM »
Here it is, at 1274g.  As I say, a fair amount of the black spot there Jim lad, but what can you do?  This will probably get cut into in a couple days anyway.

- Jeff

CWREBEL

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 03:57:02 PM »
Looks like a leapordphilly!  :o Probably couldn't replicate it if you wanted to, but that's probably not what you had in mind from the start. Does it smell off/bad?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »
I have had some troubles with the ol' black spot from time to time. I try to knock it down when I first see it so that it doesn't just move in and take over. I do this with brine wash. If that doesn't get the job done, then I use vinegar & salt. Sometimes in crevices, nooks and crannies, I have to use a clean toothpick dipped in the vinegar & salt to tease out the black spots. It's not always 100% effective and I sometimes have black spots anyway, but a lot of them have been stopped in their tracks.

It IS very artistic, Jeff. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 05:01:06 PM »
Hi,

This occurs if I put the cheese in the cave too soon, and it hasn't properly air dried.  I moved this in after two days (probably closer to 1.5) because it's summer and I thought it was dry.  It wasn't quite.  This kind of mould doesn't penetrate and doesn't cause any off flavours or aromas, but it is a real pain to try and fight so I just leave it and remove the rind when I eat it.  Not really a problem, just looks bad.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 10:46:10 PM »
Hi,

Well, we cut into it today.  It weighs 1228g, and has a density of 1.07 g/cm3.  Interior looks really good, has a good feel to it when I cut it (firm, but with some give, so a bit moist).  Letting this cut piece warm up for the taste test. 

- Jeff

shotski

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:21 PM »
Moldy yes but I like it tooooooooooooo :D

Looks really good Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
Curiously, this one is quite dry and flavoyrless compared to my other makes, and doesn't have the tang that caerphilly normally has.  It's quite salty, which is typical for this cheese.  I'll give this procedure a few more goes, and tweak some of the bits, like stirring schedule, etc, and see what we can do.  It's edible, but it's not one to call up friends and have them rush over to try.  Of course, I've had others that improve a lot after they've been cut.  Will see if that happens here.

- Jeff

meyerandray

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 09:18:45 AM »
It looks great, sorry your aren't over the moon for it, like you said maybe it will get better after the cut.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
Sorry to hear that news, Jeff.

I can understand, I've had some of those cheeses that disappoint after being lavishly tended to for so long. :(

Sometimes a little more time does change the character for the good.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »
Hi,

A bit more aging might help it, though caerphilly has always been ready at this point before.  I'm pretty sure I must have over stirred, or something.  It just lacks flavour, other than the salt.  I'm going to try a few changes in my next make using this procedure and see if I can sort it out.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 12:11:45 AM »
Hmm,

I probably over cultured it, the 7 ice cubes was to use up the last of an older batch.  I probably only needed 4.  Still, tried another piece today and it's not as flavourless as I thought.  I always find cheeses are a better a day or so after they've been cut.  I think the paste needs to breath.  Anyway, there's a bit of the caerphilly flavour, and I think cutting back on my starter will help.

- Jeff