Author Topic: Blue #1 - The make.  (Read 4606 times)

Clean break

Blue #1 - The make.
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »
My first Blue.  Based on Flor Azul in Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking by Gianaclis Caldwell. 

2 gallons of farm fresh jersey milk pasteurized 145 / 30 min.
1 gallon farm fresh goat milk 145 /30 min.
1 gallon skim P/H from the store
1/2 t Flora Danica (recipe calls for 1/4 t FD and 1/16 ST 50 which I did not have) The reason I doubled the FD is because the label on the bag calls for 1/4 t per gallon and I have   been having slow ph drop in the vat.  Experimented.  still slow drop in the vat.  ???
1 t liquid animal rennet (or 100 drops if you will)  Once again the recipe calls for 1/2 t but I have had batches that did not set if I use less than 1/4 t per gallon.  Flocc @ 10 min.
1/8 t calf lipase (not in the recipe but sounded good)
1 sache pr from mad millie
2 T of my favorite blue cheese diluted in some warm water
1/4 t calcium chloride for the 1 gallon of store bought.

Starting ph 6.63

Heated to 90 degrees added all cultures and mold let set 5 min. stir 5 min

Ripen 30 min.

Add lipase and Calcium Chloride

Rest 5 min.

Added rennet.  Floc 10 minutes ph 6.63

40 minutes to cut

Cut 2" vertically in one direction

rest 10 min.

Cut 2" vertically in other direction

rest 10 min

Cut 2" horizontally

rest 10 min.

Hold @ 90 degrees for 45 minutes stirring to prevent matting

Drain on angled baking sheet for 1 hour Whey. ph 6.4

Break apart matted curd (I added a couple teaspoons of salt not called for in the recipe)

Mold ph 6.16 (curd)

13 hours in the mold ph dropped to 5.0

removed from mold instead of waiting for ph 4.7 because I had to go to work.

Dry salt 3% ( I divided the 3% into 4 parts and used it to salt twice a day for 2 days at room temp. got this from joy of cheesemaking maybe?)

After dry salting for 2 days it will go into the cave.

The rind seems a little closed but not sure about that.  In 10 days I will take a core sample and poke as needed. 

I am not sure how to add captions under the pics yet and it's really sunny outside right now so I am outa here.

Oregon Cheese Fest. at Rogue Creamery tomorrow for the real deal.  Echo Mt. Blue mmmmm

scott

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:36:17 PM by Clean break »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Blue #1 - The make.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »
Wow, so yellow! :)  Nice.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
Very interesting make.  I'll be anxious to hear what effect the lipase had on the end product.  With that yellow color it could almost be a Shropshire Blue.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Clean break

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »
5% Jersey milk is pretty yellow stuff!! 

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
those are, indeed, nice looking!  Best of luck and keep us apprised  ;D

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »
Indeed, Shropshire is just Stilton with annatto coloring added.  Yours should prove much more interesting.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

meyerandray

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
Hey Clean Break, how is this make looking these days?  I tried one last week, although I used all cow milk-raw, farm fresh.  It has been in the cave since Wednesday and I can't see any blue on the outside, which may be as a result of the outside salt application???  Also, I have seen on some stilton threads here that after about 4-5 days they smooth the surface of the form, should we do that for this flor azul too?  How long are you planning on aging yours?  I would love to see an updated picture, and can't wait to hear how it tastes!!

Clean break

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 01:48:50 PM »
Hey Ray
He / she is coming along fine. Right now I am staring at a campfire and the Utah desert so I can't tell you what is going on on day 11 and I havn't seen her since day 9. She had blue arojnd day 6-7 on the outside and since we were leaving town for two weeks I took a core sample and saw no blue inside. So I poked a bunch of holes put her back in the cave and left her. Oh I did clean most of the blue off with a light brine just before poking. I expect her to have pretty long blue when we return. Did you follow the recipe in Gianaclis's book?  I want to wrap it in foil after the blue is developed and stick her in the fridge to age to prevent a rind from developing. Mine knit too tightly while in the mold because the temp was around 80 degrees For quite a while and should have been closer to 70. Can you send me a pic of yours?

meyerandray

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 08:17:52 PM »
This is a picture of mine.  I did follow the recipe in Gianaclis' book, but I didn't have the cultures she used, so I used a meso and a Toma ST (a thermo mix).  I am on day 6 and still don't see any blue, tomorrow I am going to poke holes.  I can't imagine that the p.roqueforti wouldn't take, I am thinking because I salted outside it was forming from the center of the cheese, but now that you say that a core sample showed no blue inside, I am wondering.  I have mine at 11 C. is it too cold?  That is the temp GC wrote in the recipe...
I wanted to wrap mine in foil too, but now am worried about inhibiting the mold growth. 
Have an awesome time in Utah!  ARe you at Arches?  Beautiful.
-Celine

Clean break

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »
Celine
I am wrapping in foil after blue is fully grown.  Not sure what 11 c is and i am on vacation so too lazy to look it up but mine is at 55 f.  Mine looks Exactly like yours as far as knitting goes but mine was pretty tight inside i am afraid so hopefully I get some good blue from the holes I poked. They are 1" apart or so and I poked a bunch in the sides as well.

Yes Arches. Much mt biking. What a great place.  Done with milkshake gotta go.
Scott

The second photo is of Caputos market's cheese cave in Salt lake. Picked up some yummy sheep milk cheese there the other day.

Tomer1

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:43:10 AM »
Along with the PR you get too much lipolisys, not a sheep'y kind of cheese (rouqfort).   
I now reserve the lipase for italian cheeses only...  Can also bring nice flavor layer in Tomma.

Clean break

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »
Celine,
Did your blue ever start?

While we were away, the blue went nuts so I scrubbed her with a brush and a light brine.  The core sample showed plenty of blue so I just wrapped her in foil and put her in the fridge.

I am thinking of soaking some sort of leaves (not sure what I can find this time of year)  in hard cider or something then cold smoking her for a few hours. mmmm

The color is not as yellow as the picture, dang white balance ::)

Scott

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
That's a nice level of bluing you have going on. What is the taste like?
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Clean break

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »
Thanks Schneck,
Unfortunately I have not been able to taste anything for a few days thanks to a nasty cold :(  The texture was nice and creamy though.

I was just rummaging around the kitchen and came across some sheets of Nori (dried seaweed) which we use for making sushi.  Nice earthy flavor which I think sounds like a good mix with the blue.  I think I will soak some sheets of nori in some sort of sweet boozy substance then wrap this cheese in it.  I was also thinking of cold smoking for an hour or so, just long enough to add some complexity but not long enough to taste like a full on smoked cheese.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 12:18:21 AM »
I was just rummaging around the kitchen and came across some sheets of Nori (dried seaweed) which we use for making sushi.  Nice earthy flavor which I think sounds like a good mix with the blue.  I think I will soak some sheets of nori in some sort of sweet boozy substance then wrap this cheese in it.  I was also thinking of cold smoking for an hour or so, just long enough to add some complexity but not long enough to taste like a full on smoked cheese.

Now there's an idea - Blue cheese sushi

Cheers,
Bill.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...