Raw milk. initial pH 6.52 ?
inoculated with 0.75% of pre-ripened messo starter (probat 222) and blended 50gr piece of dambert with milk to make a slurry.
Renneted and after 13min the milk turned to gel. used a 4.5X multiplier and by 60minutes I was ready to ladle about 8 liters of curd directly into a plyban bag for stilton and the rest was cut to 1` pieces.
Acidification was slow dou to not enough culture so instead of 80 minutes of occasional stirring it turned into about 140 minutes before draining.
I removed the way, piled the curds in the pot and pressed them to get them to mat better and cut pieces to fit the moulds.
I tried to maintain 28-30c in the pot as much as I could. It took almost 15 hours (instead of
to reach salting pH.
Dry salted by weight, 5% and its air drying now.
The stilton make was according to Pav's recipe, it also took forever to reach 4.6 but eventually it did , I miled and salted to 3% by weight and got them into two 500gr moulds.
Overall: 2X500 gr mini stiltons
3X500 gr mini dambert, 1X1300 gr tall dambert.
Should be enough blue cheese to last for the entire summer