Author Topic: Livarot - Procedure?  (Read 1511 times)

mbox

Livarot - Procedure?
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »
Hi there, i still recall the beautiful taste and scent of the Livarot....i would like to make it and wonder if anyone has some guidelines , recipe or procedure ?
so far my thought would be probably not far off from the reblochon of iratherfly http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9928.0.html

i would probably have some  small bit of cream added to the milk?
Maybe add extra B.linens (sr3?) in addition to the PLA ?

what are your thoughts and do you have suggestions or any info on the making of the Livarot?

thanks a lot,

mbox

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Livarot - Procedure?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
I've never tasted Livarot, but the description is very enticing. I have dabbled around the edges of such a cheese (Reblochon, Pont l'Eveque, Saint Paulin) and would also like to know how someone might craft a Livarot.

From igourmet.com:
"Named after a village in Normandy, Livarot is a very strong smelling cheese. For those of us who can withstand the smell however, it is one of the world's great eating cheeses with a smooth, ripe, slightly spicy flavor. Its rind is encircled with straps of paper that prevent the cheese from collapsing during maturing. The straps are reminiscent of a colonel's stripes, giving the cheese its nickname "The Colonel". A young, soft cheese that becomes runny at room temperature, Livarot is a true gourmet item in the French tradition."

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.