Author Topic: Bamboo Mats for Air Drying  (Read 1975 times)

Kruegon

Bamboo Mats for Air Drying
« on: March 17, 2013, 08:31:25 PM »
So I have seen Reed and Bamboo air drying mats for sale on several cheese sites. They tend to be small and cost a lot for their size. I saw one site that sold 9x9 reed mats for $3.00 each. And the prices go up from there.

So I was out and about today. I ran across some bamboo mats that are secured with what appears to be a polymer thread. They are 13x19.5 and cost $1.00 each. So I am going to try steaming them and see how they hold up. If all goes well, I may have just located a massive stockpile of cheese mats!

For anyon interested in these, I found them at Big Lots in Trussville, AL. Though I am sure some of the other Big Lots must also carry them.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Bamboo Mats for Air Drying
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:21:38 PM »
don't use bamboo, to easily contaminated with unwanted mold, some of us use needlepoint mats (no.5) and egg crate florescent light defuser's
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

BobE102330

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:58:18 PM »
Or for not much more than needlepoint mats you can get real cheese mats in a variety of sizes and stiffnesses.  The advantage of them over needlepoint mats is that they are molded in a woven pattern that allows better drainage and less chance of the whey staying in the mat itself.  At the risk of sounding like a shill, PM iratherfly $20 will get you a enough of everything to serve the needs of most hobby cheese makers. 

If you do use the bamboo mats, be sure to use egg crate or a baking rack to keep the mat up off of a nonporous surface.  Otherwise your cheese will rot in its whey.  Once the mats develop mold, there is little that can be done to make them useable again.

green zebra

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 12:55:52 AM »
I would agree....these bamboo mats are notorious for quickly developing unnecessary mold. But if you insist on using them, be prepared for more frequent cleaning and sterilizing of them.

I am so glad i invested in the plastic cheese mats. A little more money initially but alot less maintenance in the end. ;)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 01:09:17 AM »
I have just tried to keep my cost's down and as basic as I can, the needlepoint mats are not ideal but for us nu bee's I have never had any problems 8)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/