Author Topic: Cheese Cave Refrigerator  (Read 1404 times)

rainman1976

Cheese Cave Refrigerator
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:15:38 PM »
Hello,

I am about to start cheese making (hard cheeses such as farmhouse cheddars) and I have been buying different items to prepare myself.  With the hard cheeses it seems there is an extensive aging process that goes along with the production of the cheese.    I do not have access to a cave so I read that you can use a refrigerator with an external temperature controller/sensor which I think is a great cost-effective idea.

I have a few questions to anyone who has done this using a refrigerator:

1.  The temperature controller/sensors apparently can support a refrigerator or freezer.  Would either of these work?  I like the shape/design of the full size freezers and there seems to be more storage area due to big flat shelves and usually no drawers.  Would prefer a refrigerator with no freezer too just to have the same amount of shelves/storage spaces.   Anyone have any suggestions regarding what is best type of refrigeration unit to use (refrigerator vs freezer using temp controller/sensor.)

2.  In a cave you have elements such as rocks and such to create elements in the atmosphere which cheese seems to "absorb" and develop complex tastes/textures due to being "cave aged".  Can I put rocks or anything in my refrigerator cheese cave to add those elements back in?  This may be a corny question but what the heck can't hurt.

3.  In a previous post I read that "with a refrigerator used as a cheese cave the cheese will give off more humidity than the fridge can expel."   Is this true?  Someone also mentioned putting a piece of cardboard between the door to let extra humidity out.   If the refrigerator has an old magnetic seal they are usually recommended to be replaced to have a tight seal but it sounds that with a cheese cave/fridge it may be better to have an old faulty/bad magnetic seal just so the door is not fully tight.  What are people's thoughts on this?  It's def easier to find an old used fridge with a poor/faulty/failing magnetic seal if anything I would think this may help let the humidity out.      Also is it possible for the humidity to get too low in the fridge?  Is there ever a situation where I would have to "add" moisture to the fridge to help the cheese aging process or is my main concern going to be letting humidity out of that area?

4.  Anyone ever use one of those commercial refrigeration units that you would see in a store with soft drinks (big shelves lots of room?)   It would seem that would be an ideal unit for storing MANY cheeses long term for aging while maintaining temperature and having much storage.   Would those external temp sensor/control units work on one of these units?

5.  What happens when you run a refrigerator in a room in garage or basement that gets rather cold in winter?   The two areas I have in my head for where this fridge is going to go are not insulated but they are within my house and/or garage.   What if the room drops to 30F or 35F would I have to bring the cheeses in to a warmer room to maintain proper tempearture during the entire aging process.   Can it drop to 30-35F for a few weeks and then go back up and not affect the cheese?

6.  People say that when aging cheese in a fridge the cheese may dry out.   What if the cheese is waxed first and then stored in fridge would that help maintain the moisture within the cheese?   Is it 100% necessary to wax the cheese if its stored in a temp controlled refrigerator would I need to store it in a container or those plastic cheese caves?

I can't wait to get started.   Ordered a wooden dutch cheese press and now I am worried about where I am going to store this cheese to age (hence the above questions!)

P.S.  Sorry this went in the wrong forum.  It can be moved if necessary.

Thanks so much,

~Rainman

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:56:40 PM by rainman1976 »

BobE102330

Re: Cheese Cave Refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:55 AM »
Freezers are generally preferred for the reasons you mentioned in 1. 

2. - I'd steer clear of adding unknown flora to your cave.  Unless you know the rocks and such harbor desirable microorganisms, just stick with the ones you add to your cheese.  You'll probably find that the cave picks up a variety that is a mix of the cheeses you make.

3 and 6 seem to be direct contradictions.  In my experience, it takes some effort to get a fridge up to the desired humidity.  If you load up with very wet cheeses you may have a problem going too humid and may need to blow some fresh air in once in a while.  Either way, it will take monitoring.  I use this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I08CEO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

4. A commercial fridge/freezer works the same way as a home fridge so an external thermostat should work.  The drawback is that until you load it up it is harder to maintain humidity and temperature. 

5.  Refrigerators and freezers only cool.  You'll need to come up with some way to heat them when the temperature around the fridge gets too cool.  As long as the cheese doesn't freeze it won't be hurt but aging will slow remarkably. Since many cheeses want to age in 50-55 degrees, whenever the garage temperature drops below that your aging essentially stops.  You're better off finding a spot inside.  I have two dorm fridges in a closet.  The bonus is that although I don't keep my house warm in the winter, the closet is warm enough for the warm aging phase of Swiss styles.