Author Topic: Smoked Paprika Caerphilly #2  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Smoked Paprika Caerphilly #2
« on: March 18, 2013, 03:51:59 AM »
This is a fun and delicious cheese.  Make your favorite Caerphilly recipe and once the rind is dry enough to go into the cave rub/smear with a mix of Smoked Paprika and Olive oil.  This time I used some extra fancy olive oil that my son and daughter-in-law had given me at xmass.  It's olive oil with Saffron!  I've got this cheese currently in a box with the lid ajar at room temp to dry the coating out a bit before I drop it to 55f degrees for a few weeks or months.  I did not cheddar this cheese with salt but brined it afterwards.  Some recipes call for one or the other, some for both.  I decided to do it with just brining.  I'm hopeful it works out well......I think I've done it this way in the past but don't want to paw through my notes to check. 

I encourage others to do this.  This was a favorite cheese of anyone who tried it.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Smoked Paprika Caerphilly #2
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:19:45 AM »
That looks interesting. Does the paprika flavour get into the cheese or does it just flavour the rind.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 06:22:24 AM »
A cheese to your colour adventure.  Looks very appealing.  Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
@ Schnecken, Honestly I don't remember because it disappeared so fast!  I think the flavor was mostly on the rind with some permeation into the paste but I just know it flavored the experience of eating the cheese!  i'll post a photo of the last one freshly cut open.

@ Jeff,  thank you very much!  I hope you'll try this with a Caerphilly and post photos too.  You're so good at making them that this would be a cinch for you and it is a nice version.  It makes for a different visual appeal which can be nice if giving the cheese to friends and family.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »
That is a neat-looking rind. Even though the rind flavor might not seep into the innermost recesses of the cheese paste, I'm sure the olfactory senses would kick in and contribute to the overall flavor profile with the smoked paprika and saffron.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:52:29 PM »
Maybe next time incorporate some  with the curds or spread a line of paprica in the middle like often done with ash.

I've found that (non microbial) aromatic rinds often lose their original aroma, likely the aromatic compounds oxidize and volotile.
Maybe a week or two before opening the wheel do a fresh coat of paprica.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:04:08 PM »
Maybe next time incorporate some  with the curds or spread a line of paprica in the middle like often done with ash.

I've found that (non microbial) aromatic rinds often lose their original aroma, likely the aromatic compounds oxidize and volotile.
Maybe a week or two before opening the wheel do a fresh coat of paprica.

Tomer, my first version never lost the aroma.  It was great to the end and it was aged much longer than most Caerphilly.

mjr522

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 02:40:52 AM »
That looks great--I'll have to try it!  Thanks for the idea.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
That looks great--I'll have to try it!  Thanks for the idea.

Ooh, I hope you do try it!!  I'd love to see how it works for other people.  I did about three Tablespoons of smoked paprika with just enough olive oil to make a mud-like paste.  it's still drying at a quite warm room temp in a box with the lid quite ajar.   :). It scents my whole office! 

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »
Hi Tiarella,

Once I get my new caerphilly make procedure working properly, I might give this ago too.  Although I'm not big on herbs in cheese, this is quite different. 

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
Jeff,  I look forward to seeing what you create!  You're right, this is different than the usual herbs.  It is a really lovely and subtle flavor.  And a handsome cheese as well!   :D

stinkymccheese

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »
Tiarella, Was this a one time rub down with olive oil and smoked paprika or was it done numerous times?

I've got my first Caerphilly in the press and want to try this if I can get my hands on some smoked paprika before caving time.

sdb

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »
sdb, I did it once.  Not really a rub down, more of an application like icing on a cake.  I did it once but dabbed at molds with a brine mix as needed and I think I might have done a plain olive oil coating at one point on my first wheel of this.  Can't quite remember now.  I'm not so great at keeping meticulous any kind of notes on aging treatments.  I'll get better at that.   :D

stinkymccheese

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:32 PM »
Thanks for the info Tiarella, you're a peach!  :)

I totally understand about the note taking, as a novice with only a dozen or so cheeses under my belt I have enough on my hands following the make procedures and making sure I have all my ducks in a row for the next step in the make that note taking tends to take a backseat  but I am improving.

CWREBEL

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »
Beautiful rind Tiarella. How long did you age the one that is cut in the picture?