Author Topic: Cahills Plain Porter Cheese  (Read 16728 times)

FRANCOIS

Re: Cahills Plain Porter Cheese
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
Not sure if I ever updated what our findings were.  We tried all sorts of ways to recreate this cheese.  What we finally found was that it could only be done one way.  Aged cheddar was needed and it had to be diced up, warmed to 70F overnight.  It could then be combined with a liquid and packed into molds.  It was very messy to do.  It took a fair amount of pressure to press and had to be left in the presses over night.  We found that too much added liquid, or young curd, resulted in off flavors.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 02:31:05 AM »
I posted the recipe for Sage, Porter and ine here

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2883.0.html

Offline Lennie

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 01:45:13 AM »
Those cheese are jsut beutiful.  I have some porter and stout in the basement plus LOTS of wine.  I have to crawl before I can walk but this is already on my list.

chilipepper

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 04:29:22 AM »
Debi, Do you have any pictures of cheese you've done following your recipe? 

Thanks to all for the great information!

Ryan

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 12:50:25 AM »
Your welcome.

No pictures - it is not my recipe it's a VERY old recipe from the book in the library Fancy Cheese In America by Publow. I knew I saw it somewhere before. I did some research and this is where the Cahill cheese recipes originated from Sage cheese.

Look under sage cheese you'll find it there. I do plan to try it with wine though. Maybe instead of sage I will try it with ground jalepino powder.

lead_dog

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »
According to this marketing material (http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/farmhouseCheese/FarmhouseCheesesGuides/FarmhouseCheeseBooklet.pdf), this cheese is pressed by hand. I find that hard to believe:

"Select Irish cheese is combined with Porter and pressed by hand to form a semi-firm wheel."

linuxboy

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 02:24:38 PM »
That's exactly how it's made. Mixed together with porter + fresh curd, and packed into molds by hand. It's not pumped out to a distribution table with a curd pump.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:43:52 PM by linuxboy »

lead_dog

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 02:28:29 PM »
Wow...so, do you take fresh curd from the same make and put it aside, then blend it (after kneading with porter) equally with milled curds that have dropped to target pH (5.3-5.4)?

I assume you'd have to do it in a Kadova mold rather than a cylindrical truckle if you're pressing by hand.

linuxboy

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »
Wow...so, do you take fresh curd from the same make and put it aside, then blend it (after kneading with porter) equally with milled curds that have dropped to target pH (5.3-5.4)?
No. You take aged cheese and fresh curd that's been mixed with a special blackened porter blend. Then combine them and press.
I assume you'd have to do it in a Kadova mold rather than a cylindrical truckle if you're pressing by hand.
No need for that, necessarily. You could put it in a press after packing by hand and use standard cheddar gear. Many ways about it. My point was that they are not lying. Might not post a detailed step-by-step overview end-to-end, but the statements they use are factual.

BobE102330

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »
FWIW, I wasn't terribly impressed with this commercial cheese.  Looks great, but taste was somewhat bland.  Could be I had been eating extra hot cajun cooking for a couple of days before and dulled my senses.

I repressed some cheddar after breaking it up and soaking in Guinness for a few hours then put it back in the cave. That will be opened this weekend, hoping for a more interesting result.

lead_dog

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »
Ah...thanks LB.

Doesn't really seem worth it to me, especially in light of Bob's review. Seems more gimmicky, and I'd rather stick to making a great clothbound than a brewed cheddar. But I'll give a wheel a try to see how it comes out.