Author Topic: Double milled Guinness cheddar  (Read 3693 times)

BobE102330

Double milled Guinness cheddar
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »
Inspired by tnbquilt's Brew Curd Cheddar, I wanted to try it, but yesterday was the day to make my Dad a Stilton approximation for his upcoming birthday. 

A few pages later in her book Mary Karlin has a side bar called Double-Milled Cheddar.  I remilled a halfway decent store bought cheddar and soaked the curds in Guinness draught. After 6 hours in the press at 80 pounds the knit is OK, but I guess I should have gone a little higher on the pressure.  Drying off now, ready to age out a month or two.  Looks and smells interesting.  I think I'll give this method a try to satisfy a request for horseradish cheddar.

Tomer1

Re: Double milled Guinness cheddar
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:22:54 PM »
Thats cool, you so take a finished cheese, mill it, flavor it and turn it back into cheese again? :)

BobE102330

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:12:14 AM »
That's the gist of it.  Probably would have knit better if it was warmer or I had thought to flip it. 

She also suggests a whiskey bath or mixing in herbs, garlic, onions, etc.  Veggies in 3:1 cheese:veggie by volume, herbs 6:1.  Something to do with cheese that comes out lacking flavor.  ;)

tnbquilt

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 12:39:57 AM »
I was worried about it not knitting back together. 6 hours at 80lbs. I think it looks great, but you said maybe a little heat and a little more pressure so maybe next time you could use the press in the pot method. That's what I was going to try.

I'd like to try the caramelized onion version. I figure that the cheese would spoil quickly, so if I used one that was already made and then tried it, I'd have a better chance. I could keep it in the regular refrigerator to keep it from spoiling for awhile so that the flavors could blend. I also want to do a cheddar with dried cranberries. I had one at the American Cheese Festival last summer and it was great.

I will fix that Brew Curd Cheddar, next time I buy raw milk. I know what I did wrong, and I will do it right next time. Figuring it out is half the battle.

JimSteel

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »
Wow, I love the marbled look to the cheese.  I bought a professionally made ale cheese with a very deep brown marbling which really just tasted like beer.  How do they achieve the deep colour?  Everything I've seen on the forums with people trying to colour their cheese with ales, beet juices and other things never seem to take that well.

BobE102330

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 12:42:22 AM »
Thanks,  I plan to try it in a couple of weeks.  I suppose the commercial cheese had too much beer.  It will be interesting to see if this has a nice balance or is overwhelmed by the Guinness.

curd nerd

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:57:01 AM »
good evening BOB,,,,,here's something "wild" for you to try

rind wash any suitable cheese with equal parts of PORT,SHERRY,MUSCAT,VINEGAR and OLIVE OIL

i applied this to a CAERPHILLY some months ago ,,,looked quite "muddy" but was a sensational taste

very adults only,,,,,,,,,,,,,please wish your DAD a happy birthday from TASMANIA and thankyou for the reply PM

many regards,,,,brian

BobE102330

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 03:13:05 AM »
Thanks Brian, I shall give that a try.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
good evening BOB,,,,,here's something "wild" for you to try

rind wash any suitable cheese with equal parts of PORT,SHERRY,MUSCAT,VINEGAR and OLIVE OIL

i applied this to a CAERPHILLY some months ago ,,,looked quite "muddy" but was a sensational taste

very adults only,,,,,,,,,,,,,please wish your DAD a happy birthday from TASMANIA and thankyou for the reply PM

many regards,,,,brian
Do we get to see any pics of this vinagrette masterpiece? Very curious. :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

BobE102330

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 03:16:04 AM »
Finally got together with my brother and opened this one. Very nice just enough beer flavor to add some interesting notes.  We ate quite a bit.   Looks the same as before.