Author Topic: Bleu Pont-l'Évêque  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Bleu Pont-l'Évêque
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:15:39 AM »
Well, I wasn't sure if this should be placed in the blue section or stay here with its siblings. So I decided it should stay here since it's going to be a washed rind cheese anyway...and bleu/blue too!

This little cheese started life here. Now it continues its life all alone, creating its own blue character.

We'll see how it goes.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:06:24 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Bleu Pont-l'Évêque
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 05:21:06 AM »
That is going to be an interesting make. I look forward to following the little guys progress.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »
Boofer, perhaps I missed something in the original post, but how is this little one getting blue?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
Boofer, perhaps I missed something in the original post, but how is this little one getting blue?

You have to click on his link in his first post to learn about the gestation of this cheese.  it's a sort of leftover curd, "what should I do" sort of cheese that he dosed with a PR slurry to blue it up.  But I like your smurf pic and I think the cheese name could be Bleu Pont-l'smurfeque.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
Thanks for filling in the blanks, Kathrin. :)

Yeah, that's about it, Herman. I'll take this little guy to some point with the rind development, along with his two big siblings. Then, at some point, I will dose it with some Blue Castello I just happened to have. Interesting point, the Blue Castello has a butterfat content of around 75%. That should be close to where this little guy will end up.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks for this cheese. Hoping for a little more shrinkage and more Geo & linens before I dose it with the Blue Castello slurry.

This will be a different blue effort. Ordinarily a blue cheese is dosed with the milk in the make or at moulding time. I've done both. This will be after-the-fact bluing. I don't know if it will take or what the outcome might be. Eh, it's a grand experiment. ;)

What I expect and am driving for is an extra creamy mild blue cheese. Should be very rich and delightful (Put away the diet!).

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »
Hi Boofer,

I think your post-blue application should work fine.  I took a cheesemaking course a couple years ago (which is what got me hooked on making cheese) and one trick we were told was to go buy a cheap edam or mild cheddar, and take our favorite blue, smear some over the cheap cheese, poking holes in it, etc, then wrap with foil, put in the veggie crisper, and leave it for a month or two.  Then, we would end up with a kilo of blue cheese.  I've not tried it myself, but someone on the board did and it worked fairly well for them.  So, with your far superior cheese, this should be a star!  A cheese to you for trying yet another approach.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 06:05:14 AM »
Thanks, Jeff.

I do have some prior experience that underscores my possible success. Here's an earlier effort.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 12:33:34 AM »
The rind had stayed pretty much low-key Geo. Not much linens action...and that's good for this particular cheese. I decided today would be a good time to make it bleu.

I sprayed my dedicated knitting needle with Star-San and set it aside.

I cut off the outer surfaces of my Blue Castello wedge and took about a tablespoonful of inner paste with bluing. I added a little distilled water and mixed up the slurry.

I held the cheese and gently poked holes through to the opposite flat side, twisting the knitting needle as I pierced the cheese. After piercing, I dribbled the slurry into the holes. I wanted it in the holes more than on the surface, but I didn't make any effort to clean off the surface. Once I had put the slurry in the holes, I looked at the other flat side and saw that the holes hadn't really come all the way through. I pierced shallowly through this side and turned the cheese back upright. That seemed to allow the slurry to more easily enter the holes I had made in the top. So I added some more slurry to the holes.

While I was piercing the cheese, it seemed that the paste was creamy. I didn't get a chance to taste any of it so it will be a grand surprise in several weeks. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »
Checking on the cheese this morning I found that the temp/humidity levels were off...50F/80%RH.

I added a small dish of water with salt to bring up the humidity and turned the controller temp up a bit.

The two Pont l'Eveque squares shared space in the same cave, but after the innoculation they were placed in their own cave.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:48 PM »
Hmmm, if you had one, you could use a brining needle/injector to get the slurry inside easier.
-Bill

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 12:12:49 AM »
Hmmm, if you had one, you could use a brining needle/injector to get the slurry inside easier.
Hmmm, if only....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 12:52:58 AM »
-Bill

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »
This little cheese is surprising me with its development. Unlike its larger square siblings, this cheese has developed its rind properly and has the characteristic white grittiness from the Geo. It also shows a little linens color.  Perhaps it is correct because it is smaller and the inner paste has dried a little earlier, whereas the larger square Pont l'Eveques contain more moisture and they subsequently are having a difficult time losing that moisture. The taller form factor of this little cheese also allows it more exposure to the air. Of course, poking it with holes didn't hurt either. ;)

The blue slurry I painted on has been assimilated and is no longer an obvious standout from the cheese.

Currently, affinage is around ~90%RH and ~53F. The moist paper towel contributing to RH can be seen in the pic.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 01:21:59 AM »
That is looking good even if it does look like a Salvador Dali picture.
-Bill