Author Topic: Adding meats like salami and bacon to cheese  (Read 2573 times)

Ms. Muffet

Adding meats like salami and bacon to cheese
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:49:25 AM »
Hi all,

I joined last year, but this is my first post, so please forgive me if I haven't put it in the right place.  I want to make a Horseradish and Bacon Cheddar, but I don't know if I have to add anything like Salt Peter or pink salt as an added preserative.  I would be using 4 gallons of milk in which case, how much would I need to use safely?  If anyone has made cheese with either salami or bacon, I'd love to hear from you!  Thanks!

BobE102330

Re: Adding meats like salami and bacon to cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 05:44:05 AM »
I discovered a technique in Mary Karlin's Artisan Cheese Making at Home that I think is the solution.  In a sidebar called Double Milled Cheddar.  Basically you make the cheese without additives and when it is at the desired ripeness you mill it again.  Mix the cooked bacon and horseradish to the curds, press and ripen a week or more. 

The way I look at it, you avoid the potential for the bacon going rancid (but cook it crispy before adding to the cheese) or the horseradish over acidifying the make.  I've tried a couple times to make horseradish cheddar that turned out horribly over acidified and therefore crumbly.  I used this technique to make a Guinness flavored cheddar yesterday.  Warm pressing room temperature and lots of pressure - more than the 5 psi I used and flip and redress a couple times.

Hope this helps.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:33:49 PM »
I've noticed on the horseradish cheddars I've seen purchased before, it's noted on the label as a process cheese - so like Bob says, the extras are added to the cheese after it has first been made and aged. I imagine you'll need a good deal of pressure to get the aged milled curds to adhere back together again.

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
Until I discovered this I assumed the "processed" meant addition of ingredients to turn real cheese into an "American cheese"  :P

Not too much pressure is required - the Guinness flavored cheese below was just thrown in the press at 5 psi (80 pounds on a 5" mold.)  I should have flipped it after an hour or two but the cheese didn't get into the press until nearly midnight. 

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:49:03 PM »
That's exactly what it means, by law, in the US

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=133.169

using "process cheese" in another way in trade is not allowed as it does not conform to identity standards.

Ms. Muffet

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 07:04:37 PM »
Thanks everyone for your response!  I have Mary's book, and in fact, have been participating in the Home Cheese Maker's Challenge using her book.  I will definitely check out both the book and the site that was posted. Again, many thanks to all!

BobE102330

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
Page 124.

tnbquilt

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 12:55:23 AM »
Double milled cheddar with bacon, and then cold smoked! I have to work on that.

dkskinn

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »
That gives me an idea... bacon jalapeno cheddar. Hmmm, there's a future project.