Author Topic: Gummy Gouda  (Read 1653 times)

tntyz

Gummy Gouda
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:03:42 PM »
I've made a few fresh cheeses and enjoyed some good product, but I'm really struggling with producing a decent hard (or semi-hard) cheese.  Recently I made a Gouda (my first) and I have some questions.  The texture of the cheese is gummy and somewhat sticky.  The paste is not very pliable, but not quite crumbly.  Overall, it is not to my liking.  I would prefer something more pliable and not so sticky in my mouth.

Where did I go wrong?  Where should I focus my efforts to move the texture in the right direction.

Thanks!
Tony

Gouda
Recipe source:  Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking
2 Gallons whole milk – Roundy’s
½ tsp. CaCl
1 packet mesophilic starter (New England Cheese)
¼ tsp. rennet

1.   Warm milk to 88°.  Add starter.  Hold for 45 minutes.
2.   Added CaCl.  Stir.  Hold for 5 minutes.
3.   Added rennet.  Stir.  Rest for 45 minutes.
4.   Cut curd to 3/8”.  Rest for 5 minutes.  Continue to hold at 88°.
5.   Hold at 88° for 20 minutes.
6.   Drain 2 quarts whey.
7.   Add hot water (160°) to bring temp to 101° over a period of 10 minutes.
8.   Hold at 101° for 20 minutes.
9.   Drain whey to level of curds.  Press to consolidate curds.  Drain remainder of whey.  Place in mold and press according to the following schedule:  15 min – 1lb, 30 min – 2 lb, 60 min – 5 lb, 2 1/2 hours – 10 lb.
e.   pH reading was still around 6.1, but hard to tell with poking the meter into the pressed cheese.
10.   Heavy brine 6 hours.
11.   Yield:  33 oz. the following morning.
12.   Weight at waxing:  30.3 oz.

Spoons

Re: Gummy Gouda
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 04:07:26 AM »
Here are 4 things that come to mind that might help you troubleshoot:

*Try to use the flocculation method for rennet time. It makes a difference in quality control. Use enough rennet to aim for 12-15 minute floc time.
*You needed to constantly stir in steps 5, 7 and 8. The whey and curds needed to acidify during these steps.
*Pressing is borderline on the short side, but may be ok if properly acidified (usually between 5-8 hours).
*Your brine might not be properly adjusted (CaCl and/or acidity)

Hope this helps.

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:21:52 AM »
Two more things, but I this is just a hunch:

*The recipe calls for 1/4 drain and 160F water? Maybe try 1/3 drain with 135F water over 15 minutes. This works for me very well.
*The pressing seems very light.

Improper washing may cause a rubbery texture.

JimSteel

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 04:36:37 AM »
The lack of stirring is definitely a red flag.  My Gouda recipe involves a lot of stirring- 40 mins in total, broken up into several smaller sections.  I think everything Spoons said nails it though.

tntyz

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:40:09 AM »
I neglected to document stirring, but it was definitely on the light side.  Was trying to be very gently to avoid breaking curds at all.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with a beginner.  I'm looking forward to another try at it this weekend.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
Also, you don't say how long you aged it before trying it, or how long you air dried it before waxing.  All details that can affect the final product.

Don't get discouraged, though.  I've sure BTDT!  Lots  of results-other-than-expected that kept the pigs and chickens happy while I was sad at the wasted milk and effort!