Author Topic: Amazing First Crotonese Make!  (Read 8337 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Amazing First Crotonese Make!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 04:09:24 PM »
Tiarella,
Thank you for the thread on using bark/shittake mushrooms.....i have got alot to learn!  A)  But being the adverturer that i am, i will try this.

As green is a favourite colour of mine, i suppose, why not use the green clay and create a different look??

thanks for the inspiration!

Today, i am making gruyer using a different recipe and hoping for better results.

Doris

Doris, how cool that you are an adventurer also!!!  I've been wishing for someone else to try way out cheese ideas...and then share.   ;D ;D. Sadly my Tomme from yesterday has some problems that may not be treatable.
it's looking like rising bread dough or a soft slumping cheese that isn't ho,ding it's shape well.  Hope it's not contaminated with something.  it obviously won't be able to age long but maybe I can turn it into something interesting and tasty.

green zebra

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 05:33:16 PM »
Would like to send you a personal message...how do i do that?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 10:14:26 PM »
Thank you S!

As you know Caldwell doesn't offer specific recipes for cheeses. I had to read alot in her book before i decided on this recipe on page 292, titled "Extra-Hard Piquant Cheese" as this version suited me best for the crotonese i wanted to make. I think this is her only book on Artisan Cheeses??

Hope this helps you.
Reading the description on page 292, I understand that this could be a Caprino Romano (made from goat's milk) or a Vacchino Romano (made from cow's milk). But reading about Crotonese cheese, it describes a cheese made from sheep's milk.

I guess a creation of your own design can be called anything you want. I've certainly tried to stretch the limits in that regard. ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 11:00:16 PM »
Would like to send you a personal message...how do i do that?

That would be lovely!  if you go to the near the top of any forum page, below where it says "Hello Green Zebra" and blah, blah, date,etc. You'll see a line of links starting with "Home" and including "My Messages".  Click on that one and I think it'll work.  or maybe I'll just send you one and you can reply.  I'll message you my real life email which is an easier way to communicate.   :D

green zebra

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »
Hi Boofer,
I have been searching extensively for a Crotonese cheese recipe. I have only two handfuls of cheese making books and none of them offer a recipe as close as Caldwell has.

Given it isn't a specific recipe she offers but it worked for me because i did the research. Also, compared to some of the books i have, Caldwell offers her recipes where one has to actually THINK about how and why they are making that variety.

For me, some of her recipes are still a challenge only because i am at a level a bit higher than a beginner. I like to experiment and making mistakes are a given, an unmistakable way to learn!  I only wish the results would show up alot sooner!! Sigh!  :-[

Tiarella,
I look forward to your email!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 12:39:49 AM »
Tiarella,
I look forward to your email!

I sent you a message.  Click on the link on the top that says "My Messages" and you should be able to retrieve it.  My email is in that message.  Not putting it on forum in case trolls pick it up and send me more spam.   ???

Salilah

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »
Doris - so sorry, don't know what got into me - must have been looking at P282!
These look really intresting - I'm waiting for my lipase and culture to come in from the US (customs managed to lose the first package!) and will try
many thanks again
(and yes, maybe it wasn't the milk or the rennet messing up my camembert yesterday, maybe it was me!!)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »
Doris - so sorry, don't know what got into me - must have been looking at P282!
These look really intresting - I'm waiting for my lipase and culture to come in from the US (customs managed to lose the first package!) and will try
many thanks again
(and yes, maybe it wasn't the milk or the rennet messing up my camembert yesterday, maybe it was me!!)

Sallilah,  check out my thread in problems about my winter cheese.  I think the milk is behaving differently now and it demands different treatment to make cheese now.  It might not have been you....  ;)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »
I like to experiment and making mistakes are a given, an unmistakable way to learn!
Boy, have I got the thread for you, Doris! Here's some of my learning. ;)

Another alternative for sending a personal message to someone is to click on the PM icon under their avatar.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

green zebra

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »
Boofer!
thank you for your learning thread...as well as a learning tool, i found it very entertaining!! LOL! Not laughing AT you but along with you!  I have had a number of failures too where in some cases, i had no choice but to send it to the compost  >:(  BUT then i carried on.

Just finished draining a gruyere, so far so good!