Author Topic: John's Cheese Cave #5 - Medium Radient Chest Freezer  (Read 16306 times)

SalMac

Re: John's Cheese Cave #5 - Medium Radient Chest Freezer
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 02:05:19 PM »
Hi John

Did you ever fix the too high humidity thing with your Cave?

Ive got the same problem with our fridge. Have started putting a large pot of salt in a larger box alongside the cheese. This has had an immediate effect in 48 hours with rind formation progressing visibly on a cheese that hadnt made any progress in two-three weeks.

To recycle salt I just have been drying it again in the oven. Not sure it would work in such a big area as yours though.

Sal

Cheese Head

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
Thanks Salmac, sadly I haven't solved the high humidity problem, Daggerdoggie had also proposed that solution, great to hear it works, and good Idea on rejuvinating salt. I'll have to try it presumably with finer salt to get more surface area.

Tea

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 11:04:14 PM »
I too think I am going to have to revise my cave, as with summer starting (29C on Friday) the esky is already starting to get too hot.  I am seriously looking at getting a small wine fridge, but I have yet got to convince DH that I NEED one.  :P
With you going into winter, hopefull the situation will ease for a while for you, and give you some time to work something out.

Cheese Head

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »
Sold this freezer two days ago on Craigslist here in Houston as I couldn't keep the humidity below 100%.

wharris

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »
I have the same problem with my upright.  :(

Cheese Head

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »
Wayne I think you had an upright sealed radient freezer, so similar problem to Carter and my and DaggerDoggie's chest radient sealed freezer.

I'm going to plug in an older smaller 220 volt forced de-humidified fridge/freezer with extyrenal thermostat and 110>220 volt transformer after spring break holiday and use plastic containers to increase-control cheese's humidity. Will post pictures.

goat lady

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 04:37:36 PM »
I dug through my cheese books they all say to age cheese in a fridge set at 50 with a pan of water in the bottom. This works well for me.

wharris

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 06:04:05 PM »
I am looking to trade my chest freezer in for a refrigerator only forced air fridge.
Perhaps from here.

I will then move my thermostat from the freezer to the new fridge.

Then, when I have the temp controlled, I will tackle humidity.  IMHO,  I think its far easier to hit 85% RH from lower RH than from higher RH's. (Its easier to add than subtract water from the air inside the fridge)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 07:31:36 AM »
Ah humidity. Sorry our plan didn't work out Wayne. I still have put it in the back burner as I was so pissed I couldn't get anything that worked. What happened to the custom refrig build you were going for?

wharris

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »
Nothing.

I am vacillating between designs. 

I have decided to be indecisive on this one.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »
Well you at least decided to be indecisive.

wharris

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 04:52:44 PM »
I still have made a choice.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 03:21:00 AM »
I can't think of the next line.