Author Topic: Anyone here making Prosciutto?  (Read 3473 times)

shotski

Anyone here making Prosciutto?
« on: March 23, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »
I am looking for recipes for Prosciutto to compare to. Specifically the seasoning and larding and time frames. Here is a picture of my Prosciutto after salting and now hanging in what was  to be my cheese cave. ???

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Anyone here making Prosciutto?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 02:45:05 PM »
If you do a search on You Tube there is an entire series of videos on there showing, and explaining, the entire process from beginning to end.  It also shows a really neat home made press the guy uses.

How to make Prosciutto, Part 2

How to make Prosciutto, Part 3

How to make Prosciutto, Part 4
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:54:14 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

shotski

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »
Thanks Al, I will have to change the name of my cave to Italian mountain breezes. LOL

Ya that is a pretty cool press and a good idea , just a matter of figuring out how much pressure you are exerting. If I had to guess it is a wine press with a sheet of wood drilled in the centre on the bottom for the threaded rod and you can see the top sheet of wood is slotted. 

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:12:04 PM »
why is the meat pressed?

shotski

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:37:20 PM »
why is the meat pressed?

To expell the moisture that the salt is drawing out of the meat.

shotski

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »
2 Stilton's and 1 Prosciutto in the love cave.  ;) :P

jwalker

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
Looks good , how old is that procciutto , and how long will you age it , do you go by weight ?

I haven't made prosciutto yet , but have made some great Pancetta , and Coppa , I hang them until they lose 35% of their weight , usually about 2-3 months.

I have done dry cured Hams , but not in the Prosciutto style.

Cheers , Jim.

shotski

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 03:04:53 PM »
Looks good , how old is that prosciutto , and how long will you age it , do you go by weight ?

I haven't made prosciutto yet , but have made some great Pancetta , and Coppa , I hang them until they lose 35% of their weight , usually about 2-3 months.

I have done dry cured Hams , but not in the Prosciutto style.

Cheers , Jim.

I find Prosciutto recipes a lot like having more than 1 cheese recipe in as much as one tells you to stir to prevent matting while the second tells you to let rest to encourage matting at the same stage.

I really have not seen a lot of recipes but there are a lot of Italians in our area that make  Prosciutto and almost all do it slightly different. The ageing time is minimum 12 months preferably 18 months.