Author Topic: first blue attempt and I have no idea what to expect!  (Read 7593 times)

BobE102330

Re: first blue attempt and I have no idea what to expect!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 08:02:22 PM »
The way it usually works for me is I will see that much blue in the morning and by bed time it will be completely blue.  You're doing fine.

meyerandray

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 01:52:48 PM »
Well, the blue has grown quite a bit since yesterday, but....uh-oh, I have some hairy looking unwanted mold that is trying to join the party.  I found on another post that it may be mucor??  I wiped down all the condensation in the cheese's box, am trying to slightly lower the humidity, and wiped down the outside of the cheese with a dry paper towel.  Should I salt the cheese again?  Here is a picture of the invader.  Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

By the way I was hoping to put foil on this cheese at some point, should I do that now seeing as I have this invader?  Or is there not enough blue yet?  How can I tell when it is the right time to foil?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:37:58 PM by meyerandray »

jwalker

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »
 I don't see any picture , try again.

Mine seems to be a very uniform blue/green , so far I've been lucky.

Cheers , Jim.

meyerandray

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 03:41:23 PM »
Ok, I think the picture is uploaded now.  This was taken before I wiped it down with the dry paper towel, now the hairy mold is no longer visible, but that doesn't mean it's dead, right?  I don't want to stifle my blue growth...

meyerandray

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »
Yesterday I saw two small, PINK stains.  I searched the forum, and have understood that it is probably a result of too much humidity, or too much whey still in the curd.  I had already reduced the humidity after the hairy mucor scare (which 2 days later hasn't come (at least visibly) back, yet...) and sort of wiped down where the pink spots were with vinegar, the spots are tiny, so I was willing to compromise a little blue growth in those areas in order to not risk full domination of the pink mold (pink geo is all I could find that it might be on other posts).  Today there is a third pink spot.  I ordered a phmeter and a hygrometer online, so as soon as they get here, I will be able to better understand what my mistakes are and figure out what measures to take, but in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on how to save my blue?
On a brighter note, the blue is coming in pretty nicely, put a picture of the top to show the blue growth that I'm pretty happy with.
I would really appreciate any info/suggestions regarding my pink mold problem, is it inevitably going to take over?  Could I cut out the affected areas now to avoid that, or is that the absolute WRONG action to take?
help-
Celine

jwalker

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »
I'm fairly new at cheesemaking so I won't pretend to know what to do.

I have been researching molds though , because I have started some blues of my own and want to be up to date with any info I can find.

Regarding mold , much of what I have found says that pink molds are the worst , so I would try to get rid of it as soon as possible before it takes over ,(just my own uneducated opinion).

But here is some info I will share with you , hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in.

Cheers , Jim.

"• Pink, Fusarium and Gibberella
X fusarium, the non-reproductive stage of gibberella -- white to pink or salmon-coloured mold with a "streaking" or "star-burst" pattern. Fusarium attacks cells by secreting mycotoxins that dissolve cell walls so that the fungus is then able to eat the cell's contents, enter the cell cavity and reproduce. Produces a toxin called fumonisin which can cause liver and kidney damage and birth defects. It was used to create biological warfare agent "yellow rain". Mostly infects corn and other cereals, toxin mostly affects pigs and horses. Mold can grow in potted plants in hosptials and toxins can affect immunosuppressed patients.  Caution: don't eat anything with pink mold and especially don't breathe or take in any.
X gibberella, the reproductive stage of fusarium -- dark pink, red or purple. Produces:
* gibberellin, a plant hormone that promotes cell elongation and is good for flower formation, and seedling growth;
* vomitoxin or deoxynivalenol, an estrogen toxin that causes anorexia or lack of weight gain in animals but is not considered highly toxic in humans (that is, you would have to eat a lot of infected grain to be affected by it); and
* zearalenone, a mycoestrogen that causes abortions in animals.
Mostly infects corn and other cereals. Caution: don't eat anything with pink, red or purple mold. If accidentally, ingested, no treatment is required provided the toxin source is removed. Symptoms will go away 3-4 weeks after eliminating suspect food."

meyerandray

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 03:28:43 PM »
Oh wow!  Thanks for the info, I will do some more research but that sounds really scary! 

BobE102330

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
Not to minimize the importance of hygiene, but I remember reading somewhere that some b. linens strains start out pinkish.  My guess it is environmental and likely came from inadequate hand washing prior to handling the cheese at some point.  I had some pinks and yellows on a tomme I made.  I didn't eat the rind, but the cheese was fine.

This unwanted colony is likely to cause off flavors so use a bit of cheesecloth dipped in saturated brine or vinegar to remove it.  Take your cheese out to keep you company for an hour or so daily.  That will help keep the surface a bit drier and keep the flora growth focused on the ones you want.  Which reminds me, I need to peek at my Stilton style cheese.  Hope this helps.

meyerandray

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »
I cleaned off the spots with salt/vinegar yesterday, I sort of rubbed off the pink stain, then generously applied my salt/vinegar brine on that spot.  I really really hope it doesn't come back.  Should I be worried about who I give this cheese to?  I definitely don't want to cause birth defects or serious illness to anyone!! If the entire aging process becomes a daily battle against this pink mold, should I just toss out the cheese?
I will be much more attent with hand santizing, I will spray my hands with vinegar after washing before touching the cheese!!

jwalker

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »
I will be much more attent with hand santizing, I will spray my hands with vinegar after washing before touching the cheese!!

That's probably a good idea , it may be just luck , but so far I have had no problems with any of my cheeses with unwanted mold.

I keep a spray bottle of pure alcohol on the counter , before starting a cheese , everything gets a liberal spray of alcohol , including my hands , then a thorough washing with hot water to remove the alcohol.

Also do the same with everything when finished before putting it away , it may be overkill , but that's just me.

I would personally wash/scrub all the mold off and try to revive it , if the pink keeps coming back , I would toss it and start a new one , it may be less work and worry in the long run.

Good luck!

Cheers , Jim.

meyerandray

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »
I would personally wash/scrub all the mold off and try to revive it

ALL of the mold?  meaning the blue mold too?  What would I then do to revive it?  Would you wash/scrub with a soft brush and vinegar/salt mixture?  After the cleaning of yesterday I don't see any sign of new pink spots, or pink coming back where I washed, but just to be safe I don't think this would be a bad idea.

jwalker

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »
I would personally wash/scrub all the mold off and try to revive it
ALL of the mold?  meaning the blue mold too?  What would I then do to revive it?

Yes , but like I said , that is what "I" would do , as I am still fairly new , I have no actual experience with unwanted mold (yet).

A soft brush with vinegar/salt solution should work.

My thinking was that if the PR was added to the milk , that strain should be throughout the cheese , if ALL surface mold was ashed or scrubbed off , the PR should start growing again , hopefully by itself this time , seems feasible to a newbie like me.

Just a suggestion tho , it would be nice if someone who has dealt with this problem before could give some more insight.

Again , good luck with it.

Cheers , Jim.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »
A lot of folk here encourage B Linens on their washed rinds so don't be too concerned about it and definitely don't discard it.
Also, my stilton picked up some from the environment and it was still a very tasty cheese.  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10476.15.html
-Bill
One day I will add something here...