I'm fairly new at cheesemaking so I won't pretend to know what to do.
I have been researching molds though , because I have started some blues of my own and want to be up to date with any info I can find.
Regarding mold , much of what I have found says that pink molds are the worst , so I would try to get rid of it as soon as possible before it takes over ,(just my own uneducated opinion).
But here is some info I will share with you , hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in.
Cheers , Jim.
"• Pink, Fusarium and Gibberella
X fusarium, the non-reproductive stage of gibberella -- white to pink or salmon-coloured mold with a "streaking" or "star-burst" pattern. Fusarium attacks cells by secreting mycotoxins that dissolve cell walls so that the fungus is then able to eat the cell's contents, enter the cell cavity and reproduce. Produces a toxin called fumonisin which can cause liver and kidney damage and birth defects. It was used to create biological warfare agent "yellow rain". Mostly infects corn and other cereals, toxin mostly affects pigs and horses. Mold can grow in potted plants in hosptials and toxins can affect immunosuppressed patients. Caution: don't eat anything with pink mold and especially don't breathe or take in any.
X gibberella, the reproductive stage of fusarium -- dark pink, red or purple. Produces:
* gibberellin, a plant hormone that promotes cell elongation and is good for flower formation, and seedling growth;
* vomitoxin or deoxynivalenol, an estrogen toxin that causes anorexia or lack of weight gain in animals but is not considered highly toxic in humans (that is, you would have to eat a lot of infected grain to be affected by it); and
* zearalenone, a mycoestrogen that causes abortions in animals.
Mostly infects corn and other cereals. Caution: don't eat anything with pink, red or purple mold. If accidentally, ingested, no treatment is required provided the toxin source is removed. Symptoms will go away 3-4 weeks after eliminating suspect food."