Author Topic: Save camembert after iodised salt brining  (Read 1718 times)

tetrisplayer

Save camembert after iodised salt brining
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »
Have made a lame mistake - used wrong box and prepared brine with iodised salt. Left 2 camemberts in it for 1 hour  Are there any chances to save them? Would appreciate your advice! Thank you!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Save camembert after iodised salt brining
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:23:32 AM »
Just go for it, I have made the same mistake and still enjoyed the finale cheese ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:01:55 AM »
Have made a lame mistake - used wrong box and prepared brine with iodised salt. Left 2 camemberts in it for 1 hour  Are there any chances to save them? Would appreciate your advice! Thank you!

Glad H-K-J says it'll probably be okay.  I'm curious where you found a recipe that brines Cams.   :)

tetrisplayer

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:02:12 AM »
Just go for it, I have made the same mistake and still enjoyed the finale cheese ^-^

Thank you! Drying them now...Hope that bacterias are surviving iodine attack:)

tetrisplayer

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:07:28 AM »
Tiarella, I've ordered a camembert making kit and recipe came from the supplied leaflet :) So mistake was not using iodised salt, but actually brining it? lol

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:16:00 AM »
Glad H-K-J says it'll probably be okay.  I'm curious where you found a recipe that brines Cams.   :)
I'm not sayin they will be OK, but what the heck it's done, so do the best you can, you won't know for awhile :o
I have never heard of a brined cam either ???
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 01:26:52 AM »
Tiarella, I've ordered a camembert making kit and recipe came from the supplied leaflet :) So mistake was not using iodised salt, but actually brining it? lol

Well, I usually make Brie rather than Cam but they are the same except that a Brie is a thinner cheese and a Cam is taller.  I have recently heard of brining other soft bloomy cheeses so it's not the first time I've heard of brining a softer cheese.....it's just the second time!   ;D  Usually the recipe says to sprinkle salt on all sides.  Brining actually is probably an easier way to have the correct amount of salt. Not sure what it does to the rind.  I did just try brining a version of a Humboldt Fog type cheese but haven't tasted it yet.  In fact, I better wrap that one tonight and get it in the fridge.   :D