Author Topic: Raw Cow's Milk and Pasteurization  (Read 5433 times)

Cruci

Re: Raw Cow's Milk and Pasteurization
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »
After reading these posts I decided to approach my friend at the farm to ask some questions.
It produces milk for the major milk giant here. They use some fancy robotic set up that can detect problems with a cow throughout milking.
The way I obtain the milk is through a large milk silo.
At the bottom there is a an area where he has to fill up a clean container from his home.
The time with grass is the bucket was from his son who collected the milk in a messy manner.

I obtained milk from them a few days ago and inspected the containers for "floaties" and had seen none.

I sense fear from a lot of posters over these farming methods.

Tomer1

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »
A. Bring your own sanitized container and have it filled while instructing how you want it to be filled. (as said, when they think your gone heat treat the milk, they dont pay attention too much to laying the hose on the floor and then submerging it in your container as its filled with milk)

B.You can send\take a sample of the milk to a lab and have it tested and see how "dirty" or "clean" (concentration of harmful bacteria such as ecoli and listeria), of course this is only a spot sample but it will give you some idea.
Its gone set you back 60-70$

Cruci

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 12:25:50 AM »
There are bacterial products (cultures) which can help promote saftety in raw milk cheeses.   You should consider their use.

This sounds interesting!
Perhaps I will look into that.  Any idea where to look?

BobE102330

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 01:52:47 AM »
Any purveyor of cultures may stock it.  Tending more to the commercial products, an industrial supplier is more likely.  Give iratherfly a PM, see what he has. 

qkhwaja

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »
I use raw milk, both cow and buffalo.  I never used to pasteurize it and never had any problem... Though recently I heard of a documentary where people were contracting TB from raw milk, so after that I just thought it would be safer to pasteurize the milk and for soft cheeses like cream, cottage etc, I pasteurize after making the cheese just to be safe.