Author Topic: cheddar Problems  (Read 1321 times)

DragonAndy

cheddar Problems
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »
Hi All,

I'mr new to the cheese making world and after having made a few fresh cheeses i'd thought i'd try my hand at Farmhouse cheddar. I followed the process as laid out in Artisan cheese making at home. I waxed these cheese, the white one has been left for 2months and the chilli one for 1 month.

I seem to be having a problem. The outside of the cheese is as bit rubbery and the inside of the cheese is crumbly and not uniform in texture. as you can see.

Has this happened to anyone. Is it temperature, pressing time/pressure?

WovenMeadows

Re: cheddar Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
Well, cheddar tends naturally towards crumbly, because the curd is low pH and low in Calcium. The differences in texture may be from improper pressing - if the cheese was pressed too hard, too quickly, the outside rind quickly closes, and this seals in the interior whey, not allowing it to escape as it should. Then the inside would continue to (over)acidify. The irregular holes and lower-than-desired curd adhesion inside also testifies to this (the holes come either from air or whey pockets that were not pushed out during pressing). Those are my guesses.

DragonAndy

Re: cheddar Problems
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »
I'd say you are probably right, i had no idea what I was pressing at before. Hopefully my new press will alleviate this problem.

Thanks for your reply.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:18:43 AM by DragonAndy »