What's the best Diet for Dairy Goats?

Started by Sunshinegoat, March 25, 2013, 02:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshinegoat

Hi all,
I have a small herd of goats and I have been making a few simple cheese over the past few years (chevre, mozzarella..etc)
I recently sold a doe who kidded recently but before I sold her i made one batch of mozzarella nd it was wonderful! She was a first time freshener.
I am now milking two 2nd fresheners in the mornings ( I pull their kids at night) and have not had much luck with my cheeses. The Chevre is not setting and the mozz is rubbery.. They eat 2nd cut hay and a 16% sweet feed. with free choice minerals. I had mixed a 16% pellet in but I am trying to do a controlled experiment on their diet.  I do have a protein (30%) supplement but I wanted to give it a few days and see if the sweet feed will be enough.. I am suspecting it won't be... I used to mix the 30% pretty heavy in the past..
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tiarella

Second cutting hay and a bit of grain mix around 16-20% protein is fine for my girls.  Some breeds of animals have been bred to rely heavily on supplemental feeds so I don't know if you have goats that need more.  What makes you think they might need more?

Sunshinegoat

I'm just going by what I had heard years ago about them needing more protein while milking. I was very new then and just did what I thought other people knew was right. This is the first time I have not given them the protein supplement and my cheese is not coming out. I don't really know the science behind the way we feed the girls and the way our cheese comes out but I want to!
I went with out milk for the first time in four years this winter and I was so looking forward to having my own cheese again...All the batches I made so far have not worked out except one batch I made from a different doe before I sold her.
I was thinking maybe it was the cultures and/or the rennet (they are sort of old but the cultures have been in the freezer) but if that was the issue I am wondering why that last batch from the doe I sold worked and these goats' milk is not setting correctly...hence my conclusion it may be nutritional ???

Back 2 The Frotture

any change of an animals diet induces stress, and the obligation for the intestinal flora to reorganize.  An honest experiment will take two months +.  What is the problem with the milk? or cheese?  If you use liquide rennet, it does lose it's strength as the months pass.  Another explaination lies within murphy's law.

Sunshinegoat

Well..I did another batch of chevre and it came out awesome! I'm so happy! Who knows what the issue was...maybe left over colostrum? maybe a few degrees off here and there while setting?? We only heat with wood so our house's temp fluctuates quite a bit. I have trouble in the winter sometimes w/ letting cheeses sit over night and what not.
My husband always makes better mozz than me so maybe I heated the milk too fast..who knows? I am encouraged though! Thank you guys for listening and helping out :)