Author Topic: Failed goat cheese...made ice cream  (Read 1954 times)

debdp

Failed goat cheese...made ice cream
« on: March 27, 2013, 12:42:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure the reason my goat cheese (chevre) didn't set below the top was not enough rennet and not enough warmth. It sat for 20 hours and only the top was setting. I turned the oven light on and checked it after three hours and more of the top layer had set, but the bottom was still milk.  But after reading if it hasn't set after 24 hours it's not going to and longer set creates a more acid cheese.  So I skimmed what was set and put it in a cloth to drain.  I heated the remaining milk until some whey started to come up and ladled it into two separate cloths to drain.  The first batch made perfect cheese.  The other two bags were separated into thick and thin batches.  One was like yogurt the other like a real thick yogurt, and pretty much what they tasted like - yogurt.  So I made a sauce with the thick cheese for pasta.  And used the thinner one (about 1.5 cups) to mix in with 2.5 cups of a custard base from raw milk, cream and eggs.  The wannabe goat cheese added such a nice creaminess and flavor to the base. I can't wait for it to cool so I can pop it in the ice cream maker in a couple hours.  So maybe not a total fail :)

Marta

Re: Failed goat cheese...made ice cream
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »
So... how did it go?  Great ice cream I hope?

I just failed a chevre myself.  I never realized it was so persnickety.  Probably too cold in the room.  Or my rennet was bad. 

debdp

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »
Ice cream was awesome!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »
I had this problem once.  it hadn't set after 20 hours or so but I didn't have time to dump and clean the pot that day so I left it till morning to deal with and by then it was nicely set!  I went ahead and used it.

debdp

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 05:28:45 AM »
Good to know, thanks.