Author Topic: Tasmanian member  (Read 2194 times)

elke68

Tasmanian member
« on: March 29, 2013, 04:31:23 AM »
Hello cheese forum members
I have been making cheese on and off for a couple of years, with varying success. Feta, ricotta and such are no-fuss events, as are farmhouse cheddars, but I have started to dabble in Gouda etc too. With my German background I also want to try my hands on cheeses I grew up with.

I want to limit the varying degree of quality, and still see cheese making to be a bit fickle, but oh so enjoyable.

I am about to move from mainland Australia to Tasmania, my view out the front door is right across the D'Encestreaux Channel over to Bruny Island. Up the road is the Grandvewe Cheese place. One could say I'm surrounded by cheese makers.

I'm one very curious cheese maker who has still a lot to learn and to ripen :)
I look forward to a good exchange on this forum.

hoeklijn

Re: Tasmanian member
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:36:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum from the other side of the world, The Netherlands, neighborhood of Gouda to be exactly.
It's always nice to have some other cheese makers around you, the farm where I get my cow milk is a small artisan dairy and the farmers wife where I buy my goat milk used to make cheese...

elke68

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »
Holland! Brings back wonderful memories, particularly staying in a place called Zaltbommel by the river Waal a few times.

One of the cookbooks I keep dragging with me every time I move is an early 1980s promotional book with 'Frau Antje'. Hah :)

Reading in the forum, I realise how much I don't know!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »
You're not alone. ;)

Welcome to the forum. We like pics here of successes and failures.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 03:08:05 PM »

Well , anything you need to know , just ask me , I know EVERYTHING about cheese , I mean , I've been at it for a full two months now!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Just kidding , I'm just learning too. ;)

Welcome to the forum

Cheers , Jim.

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »
Holland! Brings back wonderful memories, particularly staying in a place called Zaltbommel by the river Waal a few times.

One of the cookbooks I keep dragging with me every time I move is an early 1980s promotional book with 'Frau Antje'. Hah :)

LOL, yeah, Frau Antje, tulips, Gouda, Edam and Leiden cheese, little boys with fingers in dikes and windmills. How typical Dutch can we be...
Wait, I'll attach an image taken on my way to the farm to buy milk, from, the cows you see there.

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »
Wow Herman,
Those cows really can produce best milk in the world  ;D
I'm really envious...

Hande

curd nerd

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »
elke68,,,,,,,,,,if ever you are travelling to the north west , give us a ring on 64251560 before 6pm and you are most wecome to see our "set up"

many regards ,,brian + faye

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 01:25:03 AM »

LOL, yeah, Frau Antje, tulips, Gouda, Edam and Leiden cheese, little boys with fingers in dikes and windmills. How typical Dutch can we be...
Wait, I'll attach an image taken on my way to the farm to buy milk, from, the cows you see there.
Yeah, you're just showing off now, Herman. Boy, am I envious. :) 

Lucky dude. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.