Author Topic: Mats - Bamboo  (Read 7200 times)

chilipepper

Re: Mats - Bamboo
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 03:44:04 AM »
Carter the San Jamar Poly-Liner is what I used here... it is sold in 2 foot by 40 foot rolls and so far I've only found it at restaurant supply places where you have to meet a minimum order.  It is only $35 for the 40 foot roll but most have a $100 minimum.  If this is indeed what you are looking for I'd go for a roll or part of a roll if you want to try and get an order together for some.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 04:31:43 PM »
I'm headed there right now, my supply store doesn't have a minimum. I'll let you know.

saycheese

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 05:22:54 AM »
Carter,
What did you find out about the cheese mats at your supplier?  I'm interested in them because I also find the bamboo mats a real problem.  Why do they tell you to use these things anyway? 

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 08:09:43 AM »
They tell you to use them because they have no real experience or care, they just want to sell books. To me research is the key to gaining knowledge to write a book because you want to teach people or entertain them.

I have two types of mats the large holes ones used in bars for draining glassed made by San Jamar, look them up and you'll see the size. Then I have two different sizes of plastic food grade mesh coming to see which one will be best for use with draining camembert. The mesh I have already for cheese cloth replacement is too fine for camembert, the holes are .025" x .025", I put some water on it and water did no go through the mesh, it needs to be pressed through as when it's used with a press. With holes that small surface tension comes into play and water will not pass, so I've got a few different sizes comeing this week test.