Author Topic: How to make semisoft, mild washed-rind type?  (Read 2851 times)

WovenMeadows

How to make semisoft, mild washed-rind type?
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
Haven't ventured too much into the world of the softer, stinkier washed rinds yet, but what I have done haven't been ideal for me. I did a washed-rind tomme that got really orange, and got quite elastic under the rind, but stayed rather crumbly in the the mild. Also, it was stronger tasting than I'd like, and the rind was quite gritty.

Just cut into a Taleggio that I made 3-4 weeks ago that already started oozing all over the container it was in, and it was even being aged rather cool, around 48 degrees F (our basement temp right now). Really nice looking rind, but too runny, and again a tad stronger, more pungent, than I want.

What I'm wanting to get is a washed rind type, with a uniformly softened paste (not a crumbly, firm center), but one that still holds it shape and doesn't ooze. Would also like it as mild tasting as possible. What's the best technique for doing so? My intuition is that it may involve washing the curd, to remove some of the whey and lactose, and reduce the acidity; it also may involve a light cooking and in turn pressing of the curd, again to remove whey and moisture. AKA rather than Boofer's "gooey and sinful", how to get something "soft and supple and just a tiny bit vicious" >:)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: How to make semisoft, mild washed-rind type?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »
aaah, I too want cheeses that are only a "tiny bit vicious"!   ;D. I don't really like the super strong flavors of B linens.  I think if you want to have an easier time of this cheese style you could wait until the milk has changed to a more regular profile and your makes will come out fine.  I think in order to get mild you'll have to figure out how to minimize B linens or restrict it to a mild variety of B linens.  If you figure this out, DO let me know.  I seem to have a lively and quite vicious version of it running rampant with manifest destiny intentions.   :o

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »
Hmmm, you know, the first tomme I attempted might be what you're after.  It was too soft for a tomme, but that was probably because I under cooked the curds.  Also, it cracked, which lead me to wash the b.linen rind off and then vac seal it.  Have a look here ( http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9949.0.html ) and what you're trying to do is under cook the curds, so stirr very, very gently, etc.  You may need to read through the thread to work out how long it was until I washed and bagged it.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 06:57:46 PM »
i cant say much for semi soft cheeses, but there are a few ways to limit the b linen growth
first, do a wash schedule that invlolves no added linens, with a very mild alcohol content.
alternately, just rub it with salt, but that will draw moisture out and harden the cheese. malthough, if you begin with a cheese that is softer than your target and rub it with salt, the result will be a bit firmer.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 01:38:47 AM »
What I'm wanting to get is a washed rind type, with a uniformly softened paste (not a crumbly, firm center), but one that still holds it shape and doesn't ooze. Would also like it as mild tasting as possible. What's the best technique for doing so? My intuition is that it may involve washing the curd, to remove some of the whey and lactose, and reduce the acidity; it also may involve a light cooking and in turn pressing of the curd, again to remove whey and moisture. AKA rather than Boofer's "gooey and sinful", how to get something "soft and supple and just a tiny bit vicious" >:)
Hey, wait a minute. What's not "soft and supple" with this?  Or this???

No ooze required. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
Huh, after rereading your thread Boofer, I guess that is pretty much what I'd like to make! I think must be I had followed the thread early on, but not the point where you started sampling the cheeses. The supplemental Reblochon thread by Irathefly is helpful too. Main things I'm getting from the make are some extra cream, a light pressing, and a mixed rind - not overly dominated by a moist b.linens culture. Can't wait to "press" on.