Author Topic: Caerphilly the seventh  (Read 1108 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Caerphilly the seventh
« on: May 11, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
Cheese # 45 :  Caerphilly #7
Same recipe as last time I made caerphilly, but the make progressed much more slowly. Instead of stirring for 40 mins to reach draining, I stirred for 1.5 hours to reach the correct pH and feel of the curd. Looking for differences between makes, the temp for culturing was higher (88 rather than 86) but it is hard to imagine that making the difference.  I wonder if the starter is getting old, or if I used a wee bit less given the measurement with a spoon rather than by weight. Though I did see the 0.1 drop in pH for renneting.  I used less rennet but the flocc time was about the same. Final cheese weight was 2# even rather than 2 # 4 oz for the prior 2 caerphilly makes, I would imagine because of the longer stirring period.

2 gallons non-homogenized pasteurized whole milk (cream top from Trader Joe's)  6.7 pH
¼ tsp Flora Danica
1/2 tsp calcium chloride in ¼ cup water
1.5 ml Mad Millie's calf rennet in ¼ cup water
2 T salt
 Flocculation multiplier  3.5
pH targets:  6.6 rennet, 6.4 drain, 6.1 milling

3:45  Temperature at 88 degrees. Culture in, with 60 mins resting at temperature. (pH 6.6, T = 88)
4:50  Calcium chloride stirred in, then rennet.    Flocc time of 12.5 mins. (3.5 x 12.5 = about 42 mins
5:45  Curd cut to about 1/2 inch, resting 10 mins, then gently lifted to break larger pieces which were not adequately cut. (pH 6.6, T = 86)
6:15   At 90 degree target temperature…. Recipe indicates stirring at temperature for 40 mins.
7:45  Stirred continuously for the 1.5 hours. Oh my aching arm…  pH 6.4 and curd gently squeaky. I have no idea why it took so long for reaching this pH. Drained into cheesecloth bag, resting for about 10 mins.
8:10  Cut curd mass into 1 inch slices, turned, rested 10 mins and repeated 4 more times
9:00  Whey pH was 6.2. Curd was milled, and salt added. Into form, with follower, and 10 # in pan for warmth for 15 mins.
9:20  Into press, with about 18 # for 30 mins
9:50  Redressed, sprinkled with salt, and back into press about 27 # for 40 mins
10:30  Redressed, sprinkling with salt and into press about 45 # for 1 hour, pH 5.8 Well knit now.
12:00 AM  Redressed, with about 65 # for overnight. Collected whey pH of 5.5
7:00am  Undressed and back into press with 18 # to smooth the rind for a couple of hours. The small bit of whey collected this morning is still 5.5. Cheese weight is 2 # even.

Susan

bbracken677

Re: Caerphilly the seventh
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
Sounds good! I occasionally get those "is the culture working" moments as well...but then sometimes I am racing to keep up with the make and acidity schedule once the little  things kick in and start multiplying.  All you can do is be aware and adapt as needed. Seems like some of my better cheeses were ones that I had to adapt and overcome   :o