Farmhouse Cheddar

Started by g8shot1, March 30, 2013, 02:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8shot1

We've been making mozzarella, ricotta and queso blanco type cheeses several years.  Our first effort at a harder cheese was a total failure an I'm not sure why.  I recently learned about a farm very close to my home that is selling raw cow and goat milk, so I've run out of excuses not to make more cheese. 3 gallons of milk and one pint of heavy cream is in the recipe for the next two farmhouse cheddar attempts.  I found that my 15 gallon  kettle holds a 5 gallon kettle to make a fairly good double boiler and holds temps over an hour or so pretty well. Here is some of the cut curd getting ready to drain and salt:

This wheel is drying right now:

This wheel was made onFebruary 10, very tasty, melts good, tastes great and is now half gone, 4lbs2ozs:

I'm looking forward to getting some sort of cheese cave and starting to play with real aged cheddar and some blue/stilton/roquefort type cheeses.

g8shot1

We think the flavor of our second and third attempts at this farmhouse cheddar cheese is good.  We may toy with adding herbs to one in the near future.  I think we need to get some newer cultures and another recipe book.  Suggestions for a source or book?  Thanks!

bbracken677

I would recommend "Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking" by Gianaclis Caldwell.

Boofer

Quote from: Jim & Rose on April 24, 2013, 04:11:07 PM
Suggestions for a source or book?
If you SEARCH you should be able to find references to culture sources. I know I've posted several from time to time.

Would you please edit your profile to include your location? Thanks.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

KTownCheese

Looking good!  Keep up the good work!

jwalker

QuoteThis wheel was made onFebruary 10, very tasty, melts good, tastes great and is now half gone, 4lbs2ozs:

So , you're saying that at 40 days your farmhouse cheddar is quite good?

You must be doing something right , mine tastes way to dry and acidic even at 8 weeks , I'm still aging four of them , think I will leave them for at least six months.

As for adding herbs , I have a 2 pound Gouda that I added dill to , I can't wait to try it.

Cheers , Jim.

g8shot1

Thank You, I'll order this today.

Quote from: bbracken677 on April 25, 2013, 05:47:03 PM
I would recommend "Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking" by Gianaclis Caldwell.

g8shot1

Sorry, I've never been to a forum where anyone cared what my location is.  I added a region of where this threads cheese was made.  We also make cheese at our condo's in FL and SC.

Quote from: Boofer on April 26, 2013, 12:40:59 AM
Quote from: Jim & Rose on April 24, 2013, 04:11:07 PM
Suggestions for a source or book?
If you SEARCH you should be able to find references to culture sources. I know I've posted several from time to time.

Would you please edit your profile to include your location? Thanks.

-Boofer-

g8shot1

I wouldn't say quite good since I've never tried anyone's farmhouse cheddar.  I didn't expect a real cheddar flavor in less than three months, but this also doesn't use a cheddaring technique. The cheese has a mild but noticeable sharpness to it.  The recipe I used is here:
http://www.leeners.com/cheese/recipes/cheddar1.shtml

Quote from: jwalker on April 30, 2013, 01:51:40 PM
QuoteThis wheel was made onFebruary 10, very tasty, melts good, tastes great and is now half gone, 4lbs2ozs:

So , you're saying that at 40 days your farmhouse cheddar is quite good?

You must be doing something right , mine tastes way to dry and acidic even at 8 weeks , I'm still aging four of them , think I will leave them for at least six months.

As for adding herbs , I have a 2 pound Gouda that I added dill to , I can't wait to try it.

Cheers , Jim.

g8shot1

Our raw ingredients for the cheese above was this three gallons of raw cows milk and one pint of raw heavy cream. 

bbracken677

Very Nice! It's awesome you have access to raw milk as many of our members do not. I can get it but it is pricey and a fair drive specially if during rush hour (both ways)....so most often I use H/P milk. It is amazing what a difference raw milk can make! 

I have made a couple of caerphillys which are quick cheddar types. I have made regular cheddars and have tried them at various points in aging... a couple at 3 and 4 months which were decent but mild and kind of uninteresting. No surprise there...  I broke another open at 6 months which was much more cheddar like and comparable to a medium cheddar. I have a couple in the cave now that are going to go out a full year and have reached the midway point. I really like sharp cheddar and look forward to breaking those open.

Love making cheddars and those have been my focus for improving my process   :D