Author Topic: MY FIRST GORGONZOLA!!! Now What?  (Read 5582 times)

jwalker

MY FIRST GORGONZOLA!!! Now What?
« on: March 30, 2013, 02:54:46 PM »
Ok , I used this recipe from Rickis website   http://www.cheesemaking.com/GorgDolce.html

The cheese is two weeks old today , just pierced it this morning and took these photos.

It is in it's own airtight container in cheese cave.

The recipe says to age for three months , but is not clear exactly how , do I leave it as is? , wrap it? , wash it? , anyone who has done this , I would appreciate any input.

Also would appreciate any comments on how you think it looks , good , bad or ugly?

Thank you.

Cheers , Jim.

meyerandray

Re: MY FIRST GORGONZOLA!!! Now What?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
I have never made a gorgonzola and am very new to cheesemaking, but I can tell you that gorgonzola is a rindless blue -like roquefort, and both of these chesses are always sold in foil, which I imagine is there from aging.

G. Caldwell in "Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking" writes:
"For blues for which a white, clean surface is desirable (a rindless cheese), the wheels can be tightly wrapped in foil or even waxed.  It is also possible to vacuum seal the cheese.  Sometimes, a totally sealed cheese will not look blue when first opened, and then, once oxygen makes contact with the molds, spores will form and color will appear.  A vacuum-sealed or waxed cheese may accumulate some moisture under the wrapping.  If the moisture becomes excessive, you should open the wrapping, let the cheese breathe and dry for a brief period, then reqrap if desired......
Affinage:  Move to aging room at 50-55 F (10-13 C) and 90% RH.  Turn daily.  After 8-10 days, pierce vertically using a sanitized 3.5 millimeter knitting needle or similar-size meat skewer.  Pierce three to four holes per square inch (6.5 sq cm).  Pierce again after 2 more weeks of aging.  Continue to age at 50 to 55 F and 90% RH.  When adequate blue growth has occurred (check by doing a core sample), the cheese can be wrapped in foil or waxed and moved to a colder environment at about 37 F (3 C) and aged for several months"

Hope this helps.  For what it's worth, I think it looks great so far!!

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »
Thank you , yes that helps a lot! :P :P

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »
My blues have all been Stilton style, where a "scary" looking rind is the goal.  I'd think a permeable wrap such as used for Camembert and Brie would keep the rind down somewhat while still allowing the PR to develop inside.  It needs some oxygen to do its thing. 

I'd pierce it a bit more, allowing air to the inside is what gives you the interior blue.  Looks good so far on the outside. 

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 07:11:08 PM »
You should leave it be in a moist enviroment so it doesnt dry out.
When ready to eat you can scrape the blue and wrap in tin foil.

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 04:31:29 PM »
You should leave it be in a moist enviroment so it doesnt dry out.
When ready to eat you can scrape the blue and wrap in tin foil.

So how will I know when it's ready to eat? :-\

Bob , good idea , think I will pierce it a few more times , leave it in it's container for  few more weeks , and go from there.

Thanks guys.

Cheers , Jim.

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »
Id say anywhere from 70-90 days is a good number.
I use an apple corer to look at the veining.

jwalker

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Day 11 in the cave , starting to look and smell like actual blue cheese now! ;D ;D ;D

Lots of blue/green and now some lighter almost white coloring , is that normal?

It smells really good! ^-^

I'm going to pierce it some more this weekend.

Cheers , Jim.

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »
Nice color.  watch the white mold growth, it could start producing some ammonia. you might want to lower the humidity a bit.

bbracken677

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »
In general...your blue will not remain a pretty blue/green for long. It will eventually become something that looks like the dog...dickens... Check out some of the picks in the forum with other's blue cheese types.    :)

BobE102330

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 01:55:31 AM »
Your container looks a bit tight, which could be causing the high humidity.  Either move to a larger container or leave it propped open a bit. 

jwalker

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »
Yes , the container is a bight tight , it touches on the side a bit.

I will find another today.

So , it is the white mold that causes the ammonia , I have had commercially produced Cams before that were too strong with ammonia flavor for me.

Good to know.

I will hopefully find a container big enough for two , as I am going to start another blue on Sunday.

Thanks all.

Cheers , Jim.

CheeWilly

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 02:28:53 AM »
Jim,
Got an update o this one?  I am interested in the make because I just recently used the same recipe.  Thanks.

jwalker

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »
OOPS ! , I forgot to put it on this thread.

It came out very well , but more like a Cambozola than a Gorgonzola , however , I was very pleased withit and am hoping to re-create it now.

It seems it got contaminated with either PC or possibly PN from my sausages in the cave , it got quite soft.

I loved it though and it got great reviews from friends and neighbors.

Sadly it is long gone now.

I have since started another blue and it is starting to look the same.

I will start a thread on the other as well and we'll see what happens.

Cheers Jim.

BobE102330

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
A cheese for your happy accident!  I've had a few of those, enjoyed rave reviews and even requests for a repeat.  Keep the friends and neighbors happy and make another.