Author Topic: First attempt at a Stilton- Need help  (Read 1798 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
First attempt at a Stilton- Need help
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:54:24 AM »
I am following the recipe in 200 homemade cheeses.
using raw goat milk
My curds going into the mold seem a bit dry. I tossed with salt and placed them in the mold and covered. Flipping brings up a question. I am using a large mold 8" across and 6' tall. It has a follower and closed bottom. It calls for a bit of weight, 10lbs, so i am only able to do that every other flip.
Day two it still seems very dry.
Do I just keep going? Will it work?

BobE102330

Re: First attempt at a Stilton- Need help
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:02:32 PM »
My Stilton attempts have felt dry going into the mold and for a few days afterward.  They worked out fine.  You want some body to the curd to allow air spaces to remain inside. 

As for pressing, I have never applied any weight other than the weight of the curd itself. It will be interesting to see if one end seems to be a bit less veined than the other.  I haven't tried that recipe, although I have the book.  I've used wacheese.com Stilton approximation with good results.  Only on my third Stilton, so a grain of salt is appropriate. 

shotski

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »
I am following the recipe in 200 homemade cheeses.
using raw goat milk
My curds going into the mold seem a bit dry. I tossed with salt and placed them in the mold and covered. Flipping brings up a question. I am using a large mold 8" across and 6' tall. It has a follower and closed bottom. It calls for a bit of weight, 10lbs, so i am only able to do that every other flip.
Day two it still seems very dry.
Do I just keep going? Will it work?

Hi Steff,

I have also made this recipe a couple of time now. The first make I did not press as most of the other Stilton type cheeses do not call for pressing. The second Stilton I adjusted the recipe for 23L of milk and cream combined. On the second Stilton I did the 10lb press and yes the curd was noticeably dryer. After aging I prefer the unpressed better as it had a creamer \ softer texture and was very nice. Having said that your cheese will be fine , maybe leave it at room temperature for only 4 days before smoothing this may trap a little more moisture.   

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:01:40 AM »
Thanks
Next time I will not press at all.
Yeah the will it work comment seems kinda silly...it's cheese how bad could it be.