Author Topic: smoking cheese  (Read 2262 times)

dkskinn

smoking cheese
« on: March 31, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »
I am an avid smoker (food, not tobacco...  ;) ) I am new to cheese so not real experienced, but have made the simple, fresh cheeses. Question is, has anyone smoked neufchatel?  I have looked but I find absolutely no mention of it anywhere. On this forum or any other. Why? Is there a reason I shouldn't, (I'm going to try unless I am told a good reason not to. Worst case it's a perfectly good batch of cheese goes to waste.)
 Any any advice, warnings, comments?

BobE102330

Re: smoking cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:08:24 PM »
As long as you can cold smoke it I see no reason why you couldn't smoke it.

dkskinn

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »
Yeah, made myself a cold smoker specifically for cheese and fish. (actually the smoker was the reason I wanted to try my hand at cheese.) I  just find it interesting that I am having a tough time finding a single reference to smoking this type of cheese...

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »
Neufchatel is a soft fresh cheese with a cream cheese consistency, so it's not easy to smoke. It will melt/liquify with even just a little bit of heat.

dkskinn

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »
Yeah, luckily the smoker I built will only raise the temp in the smoker about 5 to 8 degrees so that shouldn't be an issue as long a the ambient temp outside is low.

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »
Try smoking a hallumi.  should be tasty and easy to smoke.

You can try putting in the cheese very cold. (are we talking about the white mold ripened french version or the american version?)  even half frozen.

bbracken677

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »
I am just wondering, with regards to smoking cheese....

Which end do you light?  >:D

Scott Wallen

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
I also recently built a cold smoker for my Gouda, can you provide a photo of your smoker
? i will do the same as soon as I get new batteries for my camera.