Author Topic: Recipe Thread (Hard Cheddard)  (Read 4556 times)

Iezzo

Recipe Thread (Hard Cheddard)
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:50:28 PM »
In an attempt to consolidate and organize some of the truly outstanding recipe posts throughout this section of the forums, I have begun to collect the threads and will keep them updated as best I can.  This forum has helped me out more than I can say so I’m going to try my part to do the same for it and it’s members.

I’ll be looking for full recipes that are fully contained in the Cheeseforum.org forums to avoid any site redirection.

If anyone has a recipe that is altered, their own, or is missing from this list (keep it within the Hard Cheddarded family) feel free to post it in a new thread and reference the link here to be added to the list.

This is an experiment!  If this is something that people find useful request a sticky to keep it towards the top of the section.  If it’s really popular maybe we’ll get copy-cats on the other cheese types sections.  Comments/suggestions welcomed, inform me of dead links  :) 

Caerphilly (milled version recipe):

Caerphilly (JeffHamm)

Cahill:

Cahill (Sage/Wine archetype by DeejayDebi)

Cheshire:

Cheshire (Fied)

Cotswold:

Cotswold (DeejayDebi) 

Derby:

Derby (Repost Mrs. KK)

Jeff's Derby (JeffHamm)

Dunlop:

Dunlop (JeffHamm)

Farmhouse Cheddar:

FARMHOUSE CHEDDAR (dthelmers)

Waynes Cheese: Cheddar (Wayne Harris)

Joe's Cheddar (Coffee Joe)

OlJarhead's Cheddar (OlJarhead)

Dave's Stirred Curd Cheddar (Likesspace)

Traditional Cheddar (JeffHamm)

Ian's Cheddar (pliezar (Ian))

Jack:

Pepper Jack (Alex)

Monterey Jack (GBoyd)

Dry Jack (anutcanfly) and Modified Garlic Jack (anutcanfly)

Pepper Jack (tnbquilt)

Lancashire:

Lancashire (Mrs. KK)

Lancashire (DeejayDebi)

Leicester:

Red Leicester (Ron173)

Red Leicester (stuartjc)

Västerbotten/Vasterbotten:

Vasterbotten (Boofer- Translation)

Wensleydale:

Wensleydale (DeejayDebi)

Wensleydale (JeffHamm)

Process:
Pepper Jack Slide Show (not a recipe but a great process resource by mcbethenstein)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:21:56 PM by Iezzo »

dthelmers

Re: Recipe Thread (Hard Cheddard)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:14:02 PM »
Great idea! Thanks for doing this!

Iezzo

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:25:35 PM »
It's the least I can do for the community!

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 09:20:36 PM »
Hi Iezzo,

Great idea.  I know there are some threads on Butterkase where we discussed a couple of recipies, and from that I put together a make that can produce quite a good cheese, though I'm still working on it.  that would be in the washed curd forum.  Also, a number of us have posted different makes for caerphilly (hard other).  I usually post my full make notes.  I don't claim the recipies are mine, I'm just following what I've found here and in various books. 

The Wensleydale make is one I've found on Greening of Gavin website.  The Caerphilly make (that involves stacking and milling) I got from there, but I understand Gavin adapted it from Tim Smith's book (Making Artisan Cheese I think it's called).  There's another make, I think my 4th caerphilly, which follows a recipe from 200 Easy homemade cheese recipies.  The Dunlop recipie comes from Katie Thear's book Cheesemaking and Dairying, but I've forgotten who it was who provided it to the forum originally.  I've also got a complete make notes for Montasio (hard grating) which is originally Peter Dixon's make.  And I've posted my notes for a Romano, which my documents says is from "Home Cheese Making", but I'm pretty sure I got from this forum in the recipe section.  It probably gives that source there, but I haven't gone to veryify that while writing this reply.  One thing I know about that Romano make is that part of the process is to pierce the skin with a fork after pressing it and before brining.  I've never figured out what that is supposed to do, and would skip that in the future.

I know there's a make for Cotswold Cheese on the forum by Deejay Debbie.  She provides lots of details on various cheeses and is a name to search for in your project. (ooopes I see you have that one already!)

Great idea.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:02:06 PM by JeffHamm »

Iezzo

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:14:04 PM »
Milled Caerphilly added.

Iezzo

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:55:14 PM »
Two Wensleydale recipes added.  Thanks Jeff, I don't know how I missed those.

Iezzo

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
Added Vasterbotten.  Has anyone ever attempted this type with success?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
I'm not sure I'd categorize the rough Vasterbotten translation as a recipe. That's a stretch.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Iezzo

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 09:32:37 PM »
I was reluctant to post it here as well as it doesn't meet my own thread criteria, and I could remove it, if that's the community's consensus, but it's really the best I've been able to find thus far online.  If you or anyone has some make notes or an actual recipe I would love to provide the Sweeds some representation. 

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:24 PM »
I've been working on the Västerbotten translation, but haven't yet any make notes. I was going to do that after Christmas. The notes MrsKK put up are pretty clear and it won't take much to work up an experimental recipe. When I get round to testing it out, I'll put up the recipe on her thread, if that's any help.

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
Hi Iezzo,

I've recently posted a Derby make and a traditional cheddar.  Also, anutcanfly has posted a dry jack make.  These would fit in with this list I think.  Also, this post will bump it back to the top.  Don't want to lose it!

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 08:06:05 AM »

Iezzo

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »
Updated!

Sorry about the sabbatical from the forums.  I've had a busy couple of months. Great to see the CF actively churning out some product. (pun intended)   

Iezzo

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
Bumped by request.