Author Topic: First baby swiss  (Read 7093 times)

CheeWilly

Re: First baby swiss
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 02:59:27 AM »
Cozy Cow is the only Colorado Grade A (small) dairy that I have found that vat pasteurizes using the lowest temps possible/legal. If she can make great cheese with her milk then I expect I have a chance then. It is a drive but I think it is worth it. I tend to get 8 to 12 gallons of non-H at a time.

I would like to try Morning Fresh's cream top someday - but they heat to 172degF and from what I've been reading, that temp can cause damage to proteins and whatnot. I'm also having a hard time trying to get my local grocery to order enough to make it worth it. I really don't want to buy what has been sitting on the shelf for who knows how long.

IMHO Cozy Cow is more cheesemaker friendly. Good news for the future - CCD will be converting to Jersey RSN.

I've thought about trying to gather a few local makers and make communal trips to CCD - sort of a buying club. We would have to call way in advance for product though. You can't get much fresher than that unless you milked your own.

I would be up for the trip.  I am very new to this and have been using royal crests extra rich milk.  The non homogenized milk would get better results I bet.

cowboycheese

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »
I vac bagged the baby after a good washing and drying. My warm area is way to dry for my taste and after watching a few youtube vids on farmstead swiss, I think the vac bag thing is the way to go for me. Today, holding it up, I see about 1/2" swell on the top. I'm not looking at the sides this time Boofer (I resemble that remark myself).

Q1: Maybe my warm phase needs to be warmer than the 70 degF or so I have in my kitchen? One video mentioned the warm phase room was at 77 degF and they aged for just over a month ish.

Q2: The vac bag seems to be filling up with gas/air after a few days. I've cut and resealed twice now. Maybe it is ps flatulence? I can only hope!

cowboycheese

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »
Chee - I've been down with bronchitis for several weeks now so I haven't had the energy or breath to consider my next make yet. I'll PM you in a couple weeks.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »
I vac bagged the baby after a good washing and drying. My warm area is way to dry for my taste and after watching a few youtube vids on farmstead swiss, I think the vac bag thing is the way to go for me. Today, holding it up, I see about 1/2" swell on the top. I'm not looking at the sides this time Boofer (I resemble that remark myself).

Q1: Maybe my warm phase needs to be warmer than the 70 degF or so I have in my kitchen? One video mentioned the warm phase room was at 77 degF and they aged for just over a month ish.
70-72F is fine. Too warm (77F) may lead to off-flavors.

Q2: The vac bag seems to be filling up with gas/air after a few days. I've cut and resealed twice now. Maybe it is ps flatulence? I can only hope!
I've had the same experience with several makes. Try as I may, although the rind is flexible, it may develop small fissures through which the CO2 gas escapes and fills the bag. I wouldn't worry about it. I've had eyes develop anyway.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Keyser Soze

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 04:34:42 AM »
Hey Cowboy !

Could you direct me to the recipe you used?  And What size mold did you have?  It looked like an 8" but I used mine and my cheese was a lot thinner than yours.  Would like to get this Baby Swiss make going better than it did earlier this eve.

Thanks,
Eric