Author Topic: In search of knowledge  (Read 2382 times)

JacksSmilingGoatFarm

In search of knowledge
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »
Jack and I are retired and have our own goats.  At the moment we are milking four nannies.  Our refrigerator is full of raw milk and I am experimenting with cheeses.  I started with queso blanco (panir) and ricotta achieving different results (sometimes smooth and creamy, other times grainy).
I've made cheddar twice.   The first was squeaky and felt weird against my teeth.  The second actually tasted a like a mild cheddar after drying.  Both are wrapped in buttered gauze (I read that can be done instead of waxing) and are now in our cheese cave (a dorm fridge).   
My mozzarellas haven't been pretty.  The first could have been used as a superball.  The second was a bit hard but was great grated and delicious on pizza.  The third I made yesterday never curded.  I did my best to salvage it.  You don't want to waste any of your girls' precious stuff when you milk your own.  It turned out to be very much like sour cream.
I've used all of the small start dvi meso package we ordered and have store bought cultured buttermilk ripening on the counter now.
We raised cattle in central Arkansas for 25+ years and relocated to southwest Arkansas two years ago.  We now live in a rural area and the nearest grocery is half an hour away.  We were making repeated trips for eggs, milk, and bread so we started raising our own hens, baking some of our bread, and last year Jack received a nanny and three kids for Father's Day.  Four more were purchased last fall.  Our herd count is now fifteen with one buck, five nannies, two does, and seven kids.
We repurpose as much as we can on our farm.  Our goat shed is made from materials salvaged from an old pole barn.   We reuse fence posts, staples, etc.  Jack made a log rack from an old hayround we found in one of the pastures.  You see where I'm coming from?  I'm doing my best to use what we have on hand to make our cheeses as well.  I could order more dvi, rennet, etc. (FedEx and UPS are our friends :D) but would like to make my own vegetable rennet and live cultures.  I know with all the experience on this board there are probably quite a few of you could be invaluable mentors.  Any takers?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:30:27 PM by JacksSmilingGoatFarm »

linuxboy

Re: In search of knowledge
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
welcome! there are many posts here that cover the details you are looking for. Do you need a little help searching, or pointing you in the right direction?

I suggest using commercial products when starting out to achieve consistency and a basic level of mastery. Propagating starters at home requires an elevated level of skill or settling for inconsistency.

JacksSmilingGoatFarm

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I need help with searches.  This is my first time to blog.  Perhaps you could point me those that would be the most help.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
You can search the forum in two ways. By using the search (see figure attachment)

Or by going to google and specifying this site. For example: site:http://cheeseforum.org/forum/  mother cultures

JacksSmilingGoatFarm

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:23:25 AM »
Wanted to let you know my homemade buttermilk starter worked just fine.  We used it to make cheddar last night.   It's our third batch but the first with homemade culture.  Couldn't see any difference between it and the first two. 

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »
Nice press!
I love making cheddar!  Can't wait to see your finished cheese   :D

BobE102330

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 05:13:42 PM »
Lightning fast knife work cutting the curd mass  ;)

shotski

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 12:16:46 PM »
Welcome and nice work JacksSmilingGoatFarm. It looks like the whey still has lots of milk solid in it. Did you make a ricotta with it? If not it is very easy and yummy to.

JacksSmilingGoatFarm

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
We try to not to waste anything around here.  My cheddar whey makes a nice ricotta, although it isn't as smooth and creamy as that made from mozzarella whey.
The whey from ricotta is fed to the chickens - their droppings go on the garden - the produce we don't eat is fed to the goats.  Such is the circle of life.