Author Topic: Wine fridge- temp ranges  (Read 2638 times)

meyerandray

Wine fridge- temp ranges
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »
I have found some new wine fridges for about €110 (I live in Italy) but the temp ranges are from 12 C-18 C (53 F-64 F) and I am wondering if this range is too high?  I have also found some that range 7 C-18 C (45 F - 64F) but they are more expensive.  Do I need to spring for the extra expense?  I wouldn't want to buy a fridge to save money only to find out that it won't serve its purpose.  I am looking at a Rotex (anyone familiar with that brand?)

linuxboy

Re: Wine fridge- temp ranges
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »
Which cheeses?

BobE102330

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »
Many hard cheeses will be perfectly happy in the inexpensive one. Bloomies like Camembert will want to be a bit cooler.

meyerandray

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
As I am just entering into the world of cheese, I don't know which kinds yet, but I don't want to find myself limited in cheeses that I can make because I bought the wrong fridge, so it looks like I will have to spring for the more expensive fridge.  Thanks for your help

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »
Also, what is the ambient temp during the summer?  if it gets to 25-30c it will likely never reach its lowest setting. (thermoelectric coolers dont have enough power)

meyerandray

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 05:28:56 PM »
Well in my cellar I don't know how hot it gets, I don't think it goes above 25 degrees, I will have to see-I put a thermometer in there just now to figure out what the temp actually is now, as summer approaches I'll see how hot it gets in there, but outside we definitely get up to 30.

jwalker

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 03:02:25 AM »
I have found some new wine fridges for about €110 (I live in Italy) but the temp ranges are from 12 C-18 C (53 F-64 F) and I am wondering if this range is too high?  I have also found some that range 7 C-18 C (45 F - 64F) but they are more expensive.  Do I need to spring for the extra expense?  I wouldn't want to buy a fridge to save money only to find out that it won't serve its purpose.  I am looking at a Rotex (anyone familiar with that brand?)

I bought a cheaper GE wine cooler , it was in the 55-65 degree range , I found that if you take the back cover off of the thermostat , there is an adjusting screw that can be turned clockwise to bring the temperature down , I now have it set almost perfectly at 50-55 degrees for my current batch of cheese.

They all should have this feature , as that is how the thermostat is calibrated at the factory , I can even turn mine down till it almost freezes.

Cheers , Jim.

meyerandray

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »
Oh wow Jim, that is a great discovery!  Thanks for sharing.  I ended up buying one that goes down to 7 degrees, but for some blues in the G. Caldwell book I have, they need a period around 3-4 degrees so I might end up using this trick anyway-so as to avoid putting them in my regular fridge during that phase.
Thanks again, Celine