Author Topic: 1st Successful Goat's Milk Mozzarella  (Read 2692 times)

JacksSmilingGoatFarm

1st Successful Goat's Milk Mozzarella
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:51:09 AM »
This was our third attempt at mozzarella.  We use our own raw goat milk for all our cheeses.
My first attempt turned out to be like a Superball.
Earlier this week I tried again.  We made a run into town while the curd set.  It ended up setting twice as long as the recipe specified and when I got home it looked as if the curds had been reabsorbed into the whey.  I refuse to waste anything, so I pureed the mess and ended up with cheese logs.  French Onion with Pecan and Ranch rolled in parsley.  My disaster turned into pretty tasty eats  :D
Tonight I decided to try American mozzarella.  Jack decided to help  ::)  He was watching the temperature so I wasn't stressed over the details like I usually am (I can be something of an anal Annie).  Our initial heating to 88 F turned into 112 F before we knew it .   We never achieved a clean break.  All the curds were in the bottom of the pot.  Jack was continually adjusting the heat (I think the pot spent almost as much time on a trivet as it did on the stove).  We kept returning to the script and ended up with two lovely 6.25 oz balls that taste and feel just as I'd hoped.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: 1st Successful Goat's Milk Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:03:37 AM »
I eagerly read your post because I use my raw goat milk for my cheeses too and the Mozzarella I made the first year was more like string cheese and I really want to make that soft mozzarella that we love to slice and serve with basil leaves and thick slabs of sun warm tomatoes.  What texture was your outcome?  And what do you mean by American mozzarella?

And on another note, how is your kidding season going?  My small herd's due dates are spread out through the summer this year and while better than all at once it has it's own management issues.   :D

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:05:30 PM »
I am determined to achieve "Fresh Mozzarella" with my goat milk.
I tried today, while it tastes good it is only suitable for grating on pizza.
Everything seemed to go as planned. As I heated the curd it melted nicely but I feel like the more I worked it the tougher the cheese became. I did get a nice shiny stretchy cheese but it also hardened into a rubber ball.
I will attempt again

gjfarm

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »
 >:( Another one who is not too happy with my first attempt with goat's milk mozzarella.  Temperature held fine, cheese stretched and ball was nice and shiney.  But upon cutting it, thought I was going through a goldfball.  Was fairly dry and tough.  Wondering if I  should have left more whey in it?

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
As I heated the curd it melted nicely but I feel like the more I worked it the tougher the cheese became. I did get a nice shiny stretchy cheese but it also hardened into a rubber ball.

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm referring someone to it, so I wanted to comment on the tough/hard mozzarella.

That result is from stretching it too much.  Only stretch until it begins to get shiny, then form into a ball or however you want to use it.  Continuing to stretch after that point results in dry, hard, unpleasant mozz.

So tempting to continue pulling, but it's not taffy!  :)