This was our third attempt at mozzarella. We use our own raw goat milk for all our cheeses.
My first attempt turned out to be like a Superball.
Earlier this week I tried again. We made a run into town while the curd set. It ended up setting twice as long as the recipe specified and when I got home it looked as if the curds had been reabsorbed into the whey. I refuse to waste anything, so I pureed the mess and ended up with cheese logs. French Onion with Pecan and Ranch rolled in parsley. My disaster turned into pretty tasty eats
Tonight I decided to try American mozzarella. Jack decided to help
He was watching the temperature so I wasn't stressed over the details like I usually am (I can be something of an anal Annie). Our initial heating to 88 F turned into 112 F before we knew it . We never achieved a clean break. All the curds were in the bottom of the pot. Jack was continually adjusting the heat (I think the pot spent almost as much time on a trivet as it did on the stove). We kept returning to the script and ended up with two lovely 6.25 oz balls that taste and feel just as I'd hoped.